PDA

View Full Version : A little help with yum

pegasus_329
3rd June 2006, 06:01 AM
I have been using various distributions of linux for a few years now, and so far Fedora Core 5 has been the best distro that I have used. I think that I am catching on to all the basics, including using yum, but am still learning - a lot. But lately I have been frustrated while using yum because almost every time it tries to download primary.xml.gz it times out, or the metadata checksum does not match (or something like that). It goes through a pretty large list of mirrors trying to download this file, but almost all of them time out, giving the error "[Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out." It is a large file (for me) at 1.2mb. I am using a dial-up connection, through a linux firewall distribution called SmoothWall hooked into my home network. I am not sure if this is what is causing the time-outs or if there is something wrong with my yum.conf file or any of the .repo files. I changed my yum install to match the one that the author of the Fedora FAQ was using. I really want to use yum to install packages because of the packages that I was able to install it was very easy. Thanks for any help.

u-noneinc-s
3rd June 2006, 06:13 AM
First thing to do is try to install the fastestmirror plugin for yum. It should help out a ot with time-outs on dial up.
yum install yum-fastestmirror
As for the checksum errors, this is fairly common (I think it has to do with mirrors being updated). All you can do about that is try
again later or use yumex with the "best mriiror" detection. Not as fast as the fastestmirror plugin but it will find the best mirrors. Good for updates.

pegasus_329
3rd June 2006, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the fast reply, I really appreciate it. Thanks for the tip too, and I hope it works. Of course when I put that command in it goes through all the mirrors trying to download the primary.xml.gz file, so it may take a while. Probably going to have to wait till tomorrow because it is getting late here. Thanks again and I will post if this helps.

Nemesis02
3rd June 2006, 06:39 AM
First thing to do is try to install the fastestmirror plugin for yum. It should help out a ot with time-outs on dial up.
yum install yum-fastestmirror
As for the checksum errors, this is fairly common (I think it has to do with mirrors being updated). All you can do about that is try
again later or use yumex with the "best mriiror" detection. Not as fast as the fastestmirror plugin but it will find the best mirrors. Good for updates.
I installed the fastmirror plugin, and it's when the checksum errors started for me, it would go on endlessly downloading the xtra's file and getting a checksum error till i removed it.

markkuk
3rd June 2006, 11:19 AM
You can increase the timeout value in yum.conf, try "timeout=60".

pegasus_329
3rd June 2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks markkuk, for the tip to raise the timeout value. It seems to be working. I may still install that fastmirror plugin to see if that helps with anything.