PDA

View Full Version : Switching WiFi Profiles

OperatorOne
3rd June 2006, 12:18 AM
I am using a T42 Thinkipad notebook and have my WiFi successfully confiugred to use a different profile for home and work. Im having some issues, however, which leaves me wondering if I am doing this right... so I would like to present the issue and find out how you really brainy Linux types solve this so I can learn something. :)

I would like to be able to boot my machine and use GRUB to select one profile on boot for work, and another profile on boot for home. That way, when my desktop loads, I will have wifi up and running. It would also be nice to have a 'generic' profile for public networks or starbucks and the like. I need to be able to rotate DNS servers as I have a different set for both home and work ( not sure why this is needed, but for some reason if I mix them up my network drags arse and sometimes doesnt even really work), and both networks use completely different SSID and IP setups, which I am sure you assumed.

Currently, I simply made two copies of my eth1 device in the network config tool, and then I created two profiles. One is labeled for work, and one is labeled for home. Each profile has the correct net adapter selected (i.e. eth1:work for work and eth1:home for home), and I can manually flip-flop between profiles using the net config tool, and activate the card I need manually, and both networks funciton in this way. Occasionally I loose my DNS settings on one profile or the other and need to reenter them.

One interesting quandry is that when I activate my copied eth1 devices, the original devices, and all copies of that device activate also. That doesnt' sound right to me, so I know I must have backdoored the right way to do this somehow and now I am all tangled up somewhere. Even though they work, I cannot find a way to autolaunch one or the other on boot using grub, I'm not even sure if this is possible.

I poked around on this board and Google and tried random solutions, including passing the netprofile command to grub on boot but that doesnt seem to affect which netprofile is loaded on boot.

cheers
:confused: :confused:

jim
3rd June 2006, 01:49 AM
have you looked into NetworkManager ( Gnome only) This app lists out all the availble wireless aP's and allows you to store WEP keys and connect when you wish. the other thing I like about NetworkManager is that i don't need to use the ifcfg scripts.

OperatorOne
3rd June 2006, 09:01 AM
have you looked into NetworkManager ( Gnome only) This app lists out all the availble wireless aP's and allows you to store WEP keys and connect when you wish. the other thing I like about NetworkManager is that i don't need to use the ifcfg scripts.

Yes I have that setup currently and it's working fine... but I wanted to be able to 'boot into' a specific profile, so I didnt have to manually activate the one I need