PDA

View Full Version : anyone install KFTPGrabber?

schwim
2nd June 2006, 08:31 PM
Hi there everyone,

I'm attempting YAFTP client(KFTPGrabber), and it comes as a package that you have to configure, make, install & clean(I love these!). Within the four pages of install instructions presented to me, I see that I might need to provide some of the paths in case configure fails.

Configure failed.

This was the last line I got:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

Can anyone tell me what path I would use for this? Has anyone else installed this program?

thanks,
json

daneel971
2nd June 2006, 08:44 PM
When a "configure" script complaints about missing headers, it is because you don't have the "devel" package of a given program installed. So, in your case, install the "devel" packages of Xorg.

schwim
2nd June 2006, 10:23 PM
I installed everything titled xorg* in yum except for xorg-x11-server-debuginfo(due to it's size), and it still gives me the same error.

Any other ideas?

thanks,
json

schwim
3rd June 2006, 04:09 AM
Hi there,

searching on the web, I found the dir for the devel libs(/usr/X11R6/lib), and I do have them, but the app's not finding them on configure. Is there a way to tell it where it is located?

thanks,
json

daneel971
3rd June 2006, 07:14 AM
Ok, you made me curious :D
I tried compiling version 0.6.0 stable and 0.7.1 unstable.
./configure run with no problem at all, so I still think yours is a problem of missing packages.

rpm -qa | grep xorg | grep devel
gives me:

xorg-x11-proto-devel-7.0-6
xorg-x11-xtrans-devel-1.0.0-3.2
So I think this is what you're missing.
Anyway, the build gave me an error for both versions. I did a SVN checkout and build this rpm using an old DAG specfile (it was for version 0.5.0) with some minor editing.
I didn't test this but if you wanna try, here it is.

schwim
3rd June 2006, 03:52 PM
Hi Daneel,

Thanks so much for trying an install. Thanks even more for the lengths you went to trying to make it successful for my benefit.

Here's what I get with grep:

xorg-x11-proto-devel-7.0-6
xorg-x11-drv-via-devel-0.1.33.2-2
xorg-x11-xtrans-devel-1.0.0-3.2
xorg-x11-drv-i810-devel-1.4.1.3-3.1

:)

I placed this in my home directory. Should it be sitting somewhere else on configure/make & install? I just thought that maybe I'm outside an intended path.

thanks,
json

daneel971
3rd June 2006, 04:36 PM
I placed this in my home directory.
I dont' get it... do you mean you copied the rpms in your home dir?
If the list you posted is the result of a rpm query like that I posted above, you should already have these rpms installed in your system: then the ./configure of kftpgrabber step should find them.
I admit I'm puzzled...

schwim
3rd June 2006, 04:39 PM
I copied KFTPGrabber's directory into my home directory and attempted to configure it from there is what I meant. I thought maybe I had to copy the KFTPGrabber-0.6.0 folder somewhere else for it to configure correctly.

In short, I just don't know where I should put the FTP folder before I begin trying to install it.

thanks,
json

daneel971
3rd June 2006, 04:54 PM
You have, say, a kftpgrabber-0.6.0.tar.bz2 file, that is a "tarball" with the source code.
You simply have to untar it (tar -xvjf kftpgrabber-0.6.0.tar.bz2) wherever you want (your home is fine),
cd into the top dir that was created (kftpgrabber-0.6.0) and run ./configure.
I'm sorry, but if you do have those xorg packages above installed I don't know why the configure script doesn't find them.
Did you try the package I uploaded above?

schwim
3rd June 2006, 05:00 PM
I did not. Am I to download that and try installing that the same way?

I'm very sorry for the trouble, but I'm still very ignorant about installing things. I imagine what I'm asking is common sense, but I'm still a little slow about all of this.

thanks,
json

daneel971
3rd June 2006, 05:26 PM
It is a rpm package: that is a binary program, ready to be installed and used.
I had to compress it because you can upload here only certain types of files.
Download the file, then open a terminal in the directory where you saved it and type

bunzip2 kftpgrabber-20060603.svn-0.fc5.rf.i686.rpm.bz2
this will decompress the file
then, as root

rpm -ivh kftpgrabber-20060603.svn-0.fc5.rf.i686.rpm
this will install the program.
then as a normal user launch the program: type "kftpgrabber" in a terminal (there should be an icon in the K menu but I don't see it...)
Uninstalling is done as root with

rpm -ev kftpgrabber

schwim
3rd June 2006, 05:51 PM
oh wow, it works!

I can't thank you enough for all of your help! It installed with no problem at all, and I even have a handy little icon!

You sir, have given me a reason to live :)

thanks,
json

daneel971
3rd June 2006, 06:00 PM
... it was fun. :)