PDA

View Full Version : Perl Help Needed

Solomoriah
30th May 2006, 03:01 PM
I'm trying to install a piece of third-party software intended for a Red Hat system on my Fedora Core 4 system; yes, I know what sort of mess I'm getting myself into, but there is a reason.

The software is distributed in the form of a group of standard RPM modules, and so I'm able to use the regular rpm command to install them. I did fine until I got to this:

error: Failed dependencies:
perl(mod_perl) is needed by perl-N2H2-ApacheHelper-4.0.0.01-532.i386

I have the standard Fedora Core 4 mod_perl installed (specifically, mod_perl-2.0.1-1.fc4) so I'm not sure why it's saying this.

Another rpm in the package yields this error:

error: Failed dependencies:
perl(Apache::Log) is needed by <<third-party-package>>

Now, I'm not a Perl fan. I'm a Python programmer, actually. But I'm aware that there is a standard system, CPAN, used to update Perl installations. So I tried the command, and accepted the defaults for all the setup option; but when I try to install the missing module it does this:

[root@office common]# cpan Apache::Log
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Tue, 30 May 2006 09:27:17 GMT
Running install for module Apache::Log
Running make for G/GO/GOZER/mod_perl-1.29.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Checksum for /root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/G/GO/GOZER/mod_perl-1.29.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
mod_perl-1.29/
mod_perl-1.29/t/
mod_perl-1.29/CREDITS
mod_perl-1.29/MANIFEST
Removing previously used /root/.cpan/build/mod_perl-1.29

CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GO/GOZER/mod_perl-1.29.tar.gz

Enter `q' to stop search
Please tell me where I can find your apache src
[../apache_x.x/src]

Now, I don't have Apache source on this system, and I DO have mod_perl already installed. Why is it trying to build mod_perl, and how do I stop it???

Jman
31st May 2006, 03:27 AM
Apparently mod_perl provides perl(mod_perl2). Seems that was built against mod_perl for Apache 1.x or something.

If you have a source rpm you could try rebuilding it in mock (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock).