PDA

View Full Version : Gnome performance problem FC5

Giorabar
30th May 2006, 08:03 AM
I installed FC5 and have performance problems while login to the system using Gnome. The sysmptom is that it takes about 1-2 minuets from the login time until I have the desktop ready to work. I thought it is an installation problem and tried to re-install Xorg and other suggestions I found in this forum but nothing helped.
Just when I installed Xfce I noticed that the problem is the Gnome itself, because I dont have any login performance problem while using the Xfce instead of the Gnome.

Just to make it clear once I have the desktop ready to work no matter if it is either Gnome or Xfce I dont have any performance problems. :confused:

Thetargos
30th May 2006, 09:55 AM
Could you please elaborate on your hardware specs (cpu, memory, hdd , type of system, etc) and also how did you install the system, you may be missing a swap partition...

To me this looks like a memory constrain problem. GNOME on default is somewhat resource hungry and even though you can trim it down, it will still be somewhat slow to load. The reason why I think this is a memory (amount of memory, to be specific) problem is just becuase of XFCE. XFCE is [b]designed to be a light weight, GTK2+ desktop environment, much like a "light GNOME". Since it is desiged to be that way, the resources needed to load it (with default configuration) are very slim and it has quite a low memory fingerprint (for a full desktop environment, that is). I've seen what you describe with FC4 and 3 on a 128Mb RAM laptop where GNOME would take quite some time to load... it would seem as if you'd be hitting the swap quite a bit. Plus, the default paritioning on FC (since 3) uses LVM, which does NOT (and I repeat, does not) create a swap partition. This is generally bad as ke kernel will still manage to use some hard disk space for swap, usually twice your RAM depending on the amount of RAM (for instance in 128Mb RAM systems, /dev/shm might be ~250Mb, but with 1GB systems it usually is ~500Mb). The lack of a dedicated swap partition (NOT /dev/shm) can be problematic as your system may indeed run out of memory.

Anyway, please post some system information.

Giorabar
30th May 2006, 11:10 AM
I am running 4 cpu's Intel (R) Xeon (TM) CPU 3.00 GHz
my HD is LSILOGIC 1030 IM (140GB) used with software raid component
my HDPARM results: 17849/255/63 secotors 208782 start = 63
HDPARM -t 100 MB in 2.8 sec = 35.75 MB /sec
From TOP command I see that :
Memory 4GB currently used 1.2 GB (free 2.8GB) while my 2 out of my 3 logins are gui (one GNOME and one XFCE) the 3rd is telnet session.
my SWAP size is 4GB used 0GB
My kernel is 2.6.16-1.2122 (updated by yum from 2.6.15)

(BTW How can I tell that I have a dedicated SWAP file? but Even if I dont have a dedicated one I dont think this is the issue!!!)
Please help.

pjfg
30th May 2006, 04:29 PM
Gnome (and KDE I think) can be very slow to login if it can't resolve your systems hostname correctly. Make sure you have your hostname (if set) on the same line as localhost, and that the entry is not commented out in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 myhostname localhost.localdomain localhost

Also check that /etc/nsswitch has the 'hosts' line as follows:

hosts: files dns

Thetargos
30th May 2006, 05:41 PM
I am running 4 cpu's Intel (R) Xeon (TM) CPU 3.00 GHz
my HD is LSILOGIC 1030 IM (140GB) used with software raid component
my HDPARM results: 17849/255/63 secotors 208782 start = 63
HDPARM -t 100 MB in 2.8 sec = 35.75 MB /sec
From TOP command I see that :
Memory 4GB currently used 1.2 GB (free 2.8GB) while my 2 out of my 3 logins are gui (one GNOME and one XFCE) the 3rd is telnet session.
my SWAP size is 4GB used 0GB
My kernel is 2.6.16-1.2122 (updated by yum from 2.6.15)

(BTW How can I tell that I have a dedicated SWAP file? but Even if I dont have a dedicated one I dont think this is the issue!!!)
Please help.
Woah! That's some beasty system! (/me drools)

You can tell if you have swap partitions with the 'free' command or 'free -m'

Giorabar
31st May 2006, 06:47 AM
Pjfg ,
Thanks but niether the hosts file nor nsswitch change the sutuaion.

Thatargos,
Thanks, according to free command , yes I do have a swap file size of 4GB .

The login process still heavy???

Thetargos
31st May 2006, 08:34 AM
How much does it take to load a GNOME filsafe session? On my system is almost as fast as XFCE (and regular GNOME, with gdesklets, grellm and a host of other servies at session start, like tomboy, takes bout ~30 secs to load everything)

Giorabar
31st May 2006, 09:22 AM
TheTargos ,
It takes the same amount of time 2 minuets.

BTW , I have noticed to a msg says: Power Manager , the program cannot start until you start dbus session service. this is usuallly started automatically in X or gnome startup when you start a new session.

But , I have checked and ps -ef | dbus shows several proecces of dbus-daemon ???

Thetargos
31st May 2006, 09:33 AM
Another question, are you trying to start the session from gdm, I assume (from an init 5 runlevel)?

Giorabar
31st May 2006, 09:34 AM
Yes , I am running RUNLEVEL 5