PDA

View Full Version : So im thinking about fedora on my ibook....

Grathrax
29th May 2006, 09:22 PM
Recently the machine I was running fedora on annoyed me for the last time and I decided that it had to go.

However the only other computer I have is my 12" ibook I have for school and I want to leave the main hard disk untouched since in the past things tend to break when I don't want them to, and I just simply don't have room on the hard disk to create another partition.

I am buying an external HD firewire enclosure because the hard disks I have laying around here are still good and I can use them for storage, but what I want to do is install fedora on one of them. Is that possible? If so, will that lead to problems when I take the laptop elsewhere and leave the hard disks seperated from the computer? Also, I have a second monitor I use (with screen spanning hack) and want to know how well that would work with fedora?

If the answer to any of the above questions is no, would I be better off with something like Yellow Dog or Darwin BSD that is more Mac oriented?

fizy
31st May 2006, 04:47 PM
FC5 on an iBook = no wireless, no sound, no sleep unless you know what you're doing.
Yellow Dog is essentially fedora and Darwin is useless - no software, no support.
Installing on a firewire drive is possible but a real hassle - there are guides available either at the suse or ubuntu forums. I did it once and I recall I had to edit a few config files. Re-sizing your partition requires pay software, either VolumeWorks or Drive Genius. I used Drive Genius and it worked rather effortlessly. There is a guide at the ubuntu forums to possibly resizing partitions for free via some linux tools but unless you know what you're doing, it's risking business compared to the paid GUI software.

d3viant
1st June 2006, 02:56 PM
Installing linux on PPC has always been harder than it has on an i386 machine - but you can get everything working with a bit of time spent on it. FC5 in particular has the wireless drivers for the airport extreme chipsets (bcm43xx) in the kernel already. Sound can be easily configured by adding "modprobe snd-powermac" to your /etc/rc.local file.

Grathrax
1st June 2006, 03:19 PM
I had been looking at yellow dog linux because it has the capacity to boot off of a firewire enclosure as a standard feature, and because they make drivers for EVERYTHING. However since I do have multiple hard disks laying around I just might try both. My main question is about the boot process: how does it work compared to x86 machines? I am under the impression that you have to hold down something to get to a menu, otherwise it just boots to OS X. I would be happy if this is the case because it would mean that booting would be easy when I am detached.

moon47usaco
4th June 2006, 06:11 AM
I finally just got wireless working on my iBook G3 so there is hope... Had to go te services and enable Network Manager...

I have also read posts about getting airport extreme working on ubuntu witch is debian so again all is not lost...

Installing linux on an external always seemed like more work than it was worth... I thought about doing it the other way around and installing OS X on the external and fedora on the internal but i finaly decided to just partition enough room for fedora and leave the rest for OS X...

R

Grathrax
4th June 2006, 04:28 PM
I finally just got wireless working on my iBook G3 so there is hope... Had to go te services and enable Network Manager...

I have also read posts about getting airport extreme working on ubuntu witch is debian so again all is not lost...

Installing linux on an external always seemed like more work than it was worth... I thought about doing it the other way around and installing OS X on the external and fedora on the internal but i finaly decided to just partition enough room for fedora and leave the rest for OS X...

R

Problem is that since this is my school computer I really do not want it to be threatened by the possilbility of something going wrong or being incapacitated for more than 2 seconds. If my grandmas old computer she gave me didnt' have a screwy bios I would just have put fedora on that instead, so right now I am linuxless and need to do something about it.

The more I read about Yellow Dog the more interested I get, especially how they claim in 4.1 that installation to a firewire drive is now an option!

ke9vo
28th June 2006, 04:44 PM
ummm, try a 'Live CD' version. I haven't seen a live ppc version of fc. I do know that you can get a live cd of Ubuntu 5.10 fpr the PPC.

This way, you can run linux at your pleaasure and not mess with the mac ox install untill you want to.

moon47usaco
29th June 2006, 12:19 AM
I second the vote for Ubuntu a vert good system... The newer live cd version 6 did not have wireless up and running right off the bat but it does have the capibility... The 5.10 on the other hand worked quite well with little effort...

Link to the 5.10 install page:
http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.10