PDA

View Full Version : KDE update breaks menus ...

djails
29th May 2006, 12:54 AM
Hi everyone,
I ran "yum udpate" on an FC4 machine about a week ago and noticed there were several KDE packages to be upgraded:
May 23 15:05:53 Updated: kdelibs.i386 6:3.5.2-3.0.fc4.kde
May 23 15:06:02 Updated: kdelibs-devel.i386 6:3.5.2-3.0.fc4.kde
May 23 15:07:27 Updated: kdebase.i386 6:3.5.2-7.2.fc4.kde
May 23 15:07:53 Updated: kdenetwork.i386 7:3.5.2-1.1.fc4.kde
May 23 15:08:09 Updated: kdegraphics.i386 7:3.5.2-1.2.fc4.kde
May 23 15:09:03 Updated: kdepim.i386 6:3.5.2-2.0.fc4.kde
May 23 15:09:11 Updated: kdegraphics-devel.i386 7:3.5.2-1.2.fc4.kde
May 23 15:09:13 Updated: kdenetwork-devel.i386 7:3.5.2-1.1.fc4.kde
May 23 15:09:37 Updated: kdebase-devel.i386 6:3.5.2-7.2.fc4.kde
May 23 15:10:23 Updated: kdeaddons.i386 3.5.2-2.0.fc4.kde
May 23 15:10:32 Updated: kdepim-devel.i386 6:3.5.2-2.0.fc4.kde

I immediately noticed some of the entries in the KDE menu disappeared (control center amongst others). I also noticed some of the taskbar configuration options are not there anymore either (right-click on the taskbar, configure panel,. the only icon available on the side is taskbar, and there were at least 3 or four more icons before the update ...)

Has anyone had the same problems ? Any solutions ?
Thanks
Gilles

u-noneinc-s
29th May 2006, 01:16 AM
Did you install KDE through kde-redhat or did you install kde along with the FC4 installation?

Twice now, I have found that kde-redhat updates can cause problems with a Fedora KDE installation.

I had the very same problen (menu and panel) the first time (on an FC3 installation) I have the answer somewhere. I'll
post back when I find it.

u-noneinc-s
29th May 2006, 01:24 AM
EXACT same problem...
I found it faster than I expected :). I got this from the kde-linux mailing list. It worked for me. You may lose your panel (kicker)
config prefs but that's not so hard to redo.

rename/remove ~/.config (mv is probably better)
then run
$ kbuildsycoca
Hope it works for you. It did the trick for me
After that, stick with Fedora repos for KDE updates ;)

Brian1
29th May 2006, 01:26 AM
This is a pain to deal with sometimes. Things to do.
First make a backup copy of your file:///home/<username>/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu
Now delete the orginal or move it somewhere else.
Logout of KDE and then back in.
See if the normal has returned.
If you have any defined ones they may need recreated.

Another thing I have done is actually edit the file and fix the format structure. Many things can be wrong and can take some time to straighten up. I have been lucky to fix a couple and the Menu returns to normal. I then make a copy of the file and then delete the orginal. Have kmenuedit open before doing this. Add a new item to it. Save but don't exit.Hit Save again and then again don't exit. Check to see the menu is correct. If so then exit.

Another way is in kmenuedit start moving a few of the items around and sometimes the menu returns. Hit save twice before exit like above.

There was some structure changes with those precompiled updates. If you build from source and create your own rpm you should have no issue like this. Haven't studied in great detail to see the bugs. Mostly experimenting

Brian1

djails
29th May 2006, 01:44 AM
u-noneinc-s & Brian1 thanks for your quick replies !!!

Did you install KDE through kde-redhat or did you install kde along with the FC4 installation?
KDE was installed during the FC4 installation, I only updated it using yum. The updated packages came from the "kde-redhat" repo (i just checked it).

While i was waiting for answers to my post, I tried fixing things myself. Here s what I did:
I created a new user, and logged in as this user. The missing panel/taskbar options were there again (as the new user). So I logged off and back in as my normal user account, and surprise, everthing went back to normal, KDE menu fixed (back to what it looked like before the update), all the taskbar config options were back also.... WEIRD !!!
So I havent had a chance to try your fixes, but thanks again anyway !

Now, does this mean the packages in the KDE-redhat repo should not be trusted ?

u-noneinc-s
29th May 2006, 01:56 AM
Kewel. Wish I could have been so lucky. I didn't think to create a different account, but I did try root and an alternate user
and both were fine. Mine however stayed broken 'til I got this fix from kde-linux.