PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install Kate.

wrightkevin
28th May 2006, 09:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Is there any way the Kate editor can be installed on Fedora 5? So far I've tried installing the kdelibs package
but all I seem to get is a bunch of C programs that wont compile due to a QT... configure error.

Is Kate not available on its own separated from kde?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin Wright.

linmix
29th May 2006, 05:55 AM
Since Kate is the KDE Advanced Text Editor and according to its homepage 'Kate is a multi document editor, based on a rewritten version of the kwrite editing widget of KDE' I guess it isn't possible to use Kate seperate from KDE.

wrightkevin
29th May 2006, 07:03 AM
Ok, fair enough. So is there anyway at all I can install Kate (or any decent editor) on Fedora 5.

Kevin Wright

Spoon!
29th May 2006, 07:20 AM
Depends on what you consider a decent editor. Here are some graphical editors in Fedora Core:
* Emacs
* vim enhanced
* gedit
* jEdit
* NEdit

If you want to use Kate you might as well install KDE:

yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

wrightkevin
29th May 2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Spoon!

Thanks for that - it did the trick! Running your magic command under root installed kde and after running 'startkde'
I can run Kate and all the other kde stuff. I do have a lot of kde stuff appearing on my menus that I cant run unless
kde is running - but I can live with that (maybe I'll delete them from the Fedora menu).

Anyway, thanks again.

Kevin Wright.

linmix
29th May 2006, 04:21 PM
I tried using both Gnome and KDE on FC4 but as it turned out if I deleted an entry from the gnome menu it also went missing in the KDE menu. Also, the Gnome desktop would show all the icons from the KDE desktop. Is that still the case?

wrightkevin
29th May 2006, 06:32 PM
Its a bit difficult for me to tell as my menu editor Alacarte won't delete menu items (only make them not visible). However, I
have noticed icons on my kde destop turning up on my Gnome desktop when I log in as root so I suspect that the two menus are still linked as you suggest.

Kevin Wright.

MuratAGenc
27th May 2010, 06:43 AM
my answer to "decent editor" is NetBeans with C/C++ (and others required) plug-in(s).

I tried others, but I like the interface etc. it suits me very much.

dpeirce
8th July 2010, 04:09 AM
Kate is my favorite text editor so, when I installed Fedora 13-KDE, Kate was among the first things I looked for. Unfortunately, it ain't there! Neither Kpackagekit nor Smart were smart enough to find it, but Yumex did find it: To obtain Kate, you have to download the kdesdk package. This brings in a whole slew of other packages, which is a shame, but is the only way to get Kate.

Wish Fedora could provide Kate by itself as so many other distros do. :) If there is a way to do that, my apologies because I really really did look for one!

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

"The Web site you seek cannot be located, but endless others exist".

forkbomb
8th July 2010, 04:48 AM
Holy necromancy, batman!

Yes, kate brings in dependencies. It's a KDE-centric app and relies on multiple KDE libs. You can use it in GNOME or other DEs, but you'll need to pull in the requisite KDE deps to get it running.

If "so many other distros" are providing a version of Kate that doesn't rely on numerous KDE libs, I'd like to see it.

Shrug. HDD space is cheap. vim is better anyway. :p

dpeirce
8th July 2010, 06:44 AM
Shouldn't the KDE-related apps have already been present? This is the KDE version of Fedora. Most of the extra apps seemed to have to do with development, not basic KDE needs.

When I said "most other distros", I should have specified most other KDE distros. Yes, when one installs Kate into a Gnome distro, for example, a slew of KDE packages would be downloaded; but, as I said, KDE had already been installed.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand.