PDA

View Full Version : New to Fedora

callmedrlove
28th May 2006, 06:08 AM
Ok I'm really new to Fedora. I've only used it for like 35 seconds. I need to know how (if?) I can install Earthlink Totalaccess on Fedora. Like it or not it's my ISP and I can't function without it. Any help is appreciated, even if it's just pointing me in a different direction. Thanks.

solarisman
28th May 2006, 06:26 AM
Totalaccess appears to be a collection of tools, independent of the ISP connection. If this is the case Fedora already has these tools built in (except for that line about faster connection...) To set up earthlink you first have to determine if they use PPP or some other protocol. Do you have the original install docs to use as a guide?

StephenH
28th May 2006, 04:46 PM
Ok I'm really new to Fedora. I've only used it for like 35 seconds. I need to know how (if?) I can install Earthlink Totalaccess on Fedora. Like it or not it's my ISP and I can't function without it. Any help is appreciated, even if it's just pointing me in a different direction. Thanks.

Are you on a broadband connection or dialup?

I am on Earthlink broadband, and I can assure you that you do not need to install Total Access to do anything. All the tools you need are contained within Fedora, or are available via yum. :)

One security measure I hope you set up is a separate user account for regular use. It is not good to log in and run as root. When you need to install software or do some maintenance, you can use the superuser command (su -) and enter the root password to do the maintanance, or just select the option from the menus and enter the password when prompted.

What specifically do you need to get set up? Web browsing (Firefox) and E-mail (Thunderbird) are the two main applications I use. I have Clamav set up for antivirus scanning and RKHunter to scan for rootkits.

I do have a router, which also acts as a hardware firewall. That is an added measure of safety if you have broadband, and also allows you to share the connection with other computers within your house. Lacking that (or for dialup), Fedora does have a built-in firewall.

The learning curve with Fedora is a bit steep, but I hope you will grow to appreciate it as much as I have.

Regards,

Stephen

callmedrlove
29th May 2006, 01:19 AM
I guess I should have been a bit more specific in my query. I really don't care about using TotalAccess. I use Earthlink dial-up (because neither DSL nor Cable is available where I live) and I just need to be able to access the internet. I already use Firefox so that's what I'd love to continue using. And I use gmail as my mail account so I don't even really need Thunderbird. I am just really clueless about how to connect to my account when using Fedora. Is there just some program that I can use to dial in to Earthlink?

u-noneinc-s
29th May 2006, 01:47 AM
I haven't done dial-up in a long time but I believe what you want is
system-config-network.

callmedrlove
29th May 2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks! That got me to the Network settings page, but now I'm having another problem. When I try to set up a connection using my modem, which is a US Robotics modem, it says Modem Not Detected. Then on the Select Modem screen I chose /dev/ttyS0 as my modem and continued on as normal. When I tried to Activate the connection I get error 8. Any idea how I can get my USR modem to work, or what Error 8 is?

Skunk Worx
29th May 2006, 02:48 AM
Do you know which model? Internal or external?

The error 8 is probably from pppd, it means "The connect script failed (returned a non-zero exit status)."

If you can use the command line, try running the "dmesg" command before and after you attempt to launch. Some new lines might have useful debug info.

marko
29th May 2006, 02:49 AM
callmedrlove:

another option is to make a dialup connection via KPPP
it's accessible via the startup button:

Internet->KPPP

Mark

callmedrlove
29th May 2006, 03:27 AM
It's internal, model number USR5699B. I'm gonna go see if I can find a driver for it...

StephenH
29th May 2006, 04:56 AM
You have a winmodem. The web search I just did makes me believe that you might be able to find a driver at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/ for this modem. You can test the free version and decide if you want to purchase the full version. Another possible solution is to ditch the winmodem in favor of a hardware based modem that doesn't need additional drivers to run. Most likely, you will find that in an external modem. Internal ones still exist, but they are harder to find.

Also, here is something that might help:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

Regards,

Stephen