PDA

View Full Version : Pre installed firewall?

darkchemist
27th May 2006, 10:54 PM
I run a game server through a game server company, and they had recently switched my box over from windows to fedora core 5.

The problem I am experiencing is that every time my game server tries to start i get this error:

WARNING: UDP_OpenSocket: port: 27015 bind: Cannot assign requested address
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Couldn't allocate dedicated server IP port 27015.
email debug.log to linux@valvesoftware.comIs there a built in firewall that can either have the ports needed opened? Or is there a way to completely disable the firewall?

The problem is that the only access I have to this server is through SSH, so my capabilities of changing an option through X are out the window. This was done so that the OS had full use of all the server resources.

Thank you for your help!

Effie04
27th May 2006, 11:00 PM
There is a service called iptables which is the firewall , you could disable it or make iptables rules (dont ask me how i still dont fully control iptables rules myself...)

darkchemist
27th May 2006, 11:10 PM
so runing "chkconfig iptables off" will only turn off the firewall?

iptables does not handle dns, or tcp/ip information correct? becasue i cant really afford to turn off the nic with 8 ip's comming into it becasue the box is 500 miles away from where i live.

thankyou for your fast reply!

darkchemist
28th May 2006, 02:50 AM
hmm well the server says that the firewall is disabled to start... the iptables service in not runing.

Effie04
28th May 2006, 10:24 AM
iptables doesnt not handle dns or connections, it just acts as a packet filter...
if the iptables is not running maybe the problems is at the company that maintains your server -
check if they have a firewall box configured over your server

darkchemist
28th May 2006, 11:03 AM
thankyou for your reply... i actually figured out what the problem was.

it was telling me that it could not connect, becasue when the datacenter changed my box over from windows to linux, they did not transfer all of the IP's to that box.

it was trying to connect through an IP that did was not present on the box.

thats a problem ineed to take up with the data center

thankyou for your help!