PDA

View Full Version : Cant' write CDs

Bashev
27th May 2006, 08:59 AM
Hi,
I have problem with k3b and gnome-baker and can't write CDs when they is mounted. When I umount manualy CD non blank CD, no problem to continue session, but when I try to write blank cd, can't complete.
I have CD-RW and DVD-RW and problem is available at two devices.
Can you help me?

mickeyboy
27th May 2006, 09:52 PM
You didn't say what version of Fedora you were using.
I have three FC5 boxes installed and two of the PC's won't write k3b cd as user only as SU
I have a FC5 Dell Laptop install that will burn cd's as User.
There definily a problem with FC5 , If you can burn cd's as SU, I would just wait until they come up with a update
for K3b and cdrecord. And give it another try

Jim

Seve
28th May 2006, 04:10 AM
You didn't say what version of Fedora you were using.
I have three FC5 boxes installed and two of the PC's won't write k3b cd as user only as SU
I have a FC5 Dell Laptop install that will burn cd's as User.
There definily a problem with FC5 , If you can burn cd's as SU, I would just wait until they come up with a update
for K3b and cdrecord. And give it another try

Jim
Hello:
Not sure if this will help or not, however the only way I could get it to work was to create a new group named burner and associate that group with the user [System /Administration /Users and Groups /....seems to work for whatever reason. :confused:
Seve

rhb100
31st May 2006, 01:33 AM
When I try to write using k3b a second file to a DVD+RW which already has a file written by ROXIO Creator Classic under Windows XP, I get a message and audio indicating success. However, when I examine the DVD+RW, I see that nothing was written. The debugging output is shown below. Does anyone know the cause of this problem?
System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12.14

KDE Version: 3.5.2-0.2.fc5 Red Hat
QT Version: 3.3.5
Kernel: 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
Devices
-----------------------
SONY DVD RW DRU-810A 1.0d (/dev/hdd, ) at [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD-R DL; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]

_NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A 1.05 (/dev/hdc, ) at [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96R; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]
Used versions
-----------------------
growisofs: 5.21
mkisofs: 2.1.1a03

growisofs
-----------------------
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
Rock Ridge signatures found
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 332
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
/dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 2.4x1385KBps.
Max brk space used 0
1381 extents written (2 MB)
/dev/hdc: flushing cache
/dev/hdc: copying volume descriptor(s)
/dev/hdc: flushing cache
/dev/hdc: stopping de-icing
/dev/hdc: writing lead-out

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -M /dev/hdc -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -speed=2.4 -gui -graft-points -volid K3b data project -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2005 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -preparer -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-root/k3b1vO56b.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bFhBOTb.tmp -joliet -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bG3WvZa.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bCgoT4b.tmp

rhb100
31st May 2006, 05:10 AM
My tests indicate that k3b works satisfactorily for writing to a DVD+RW when called from a terminal emulator while logged in as root in a KDE session. However, I could not get it to work satisfactorily in a gnome session.

CD/DVD Creator writes satisfactorily to a DVD+RW in a gnome session if the sub-directory of /media corresponding to the disk is set with the required permission. I used chmod to set the permission to 777 after getting a message that I did not have the permission to write to the disk.