PDA

View Full Version : FC5 messed up! HELP

complete-noobie
27th May 2006, 02:29 AM
I logged out of my computer to login as a new user and when I click on the text box to enter in my username, it wont type anything. The numbers on the numpad works but nothing else, not even the numbers above the letters work. I plugged in a new keyboard that works but had tghe same problem.

It just so happens that I installed FreeNX (its like a remote domain server). After I installed it, everything continued to work perfect until I logged out. However I don't know if these two things are connected or not.

Thank you guys for the help!!!!! Kaleb

jbannon
27th May 2006, 02:35 AM
Does thekeyboard work in single user / rescue mode? If it does, it's probably an X configuration problem. If you can get in this way you should find a backup of your xorg.conf in /etc/X11. Try using that (naturally after copying the new one out of the way).

complete-noobie
27th May 2006, 02:49 AM
I don't know what you mean by working in single user or rescue mode.

Anyways it went into screensaver and when i clicked one of the letters on my keyboard and it brought it out of screensaver so it seems like its getting signal. So I tried replacing the xorg.conf file with the backup and restarted the machine. Now what happens is I get a huge screen that doesn't fit within my monitors view. Once I click one of the letters, it goes back to normal until i click another letter. Also-the keyboard still doesn't work.

jbannon
27th May 2006, 03:12 AM
You get into single user mode by pressing return at the grub prompt and then typing a 1 to get it to initialise at run level 1. If you uninstall the FreeNX does that cure the problem?

complete-noobie
27th May 2006, 03:26 AM
Alright-the keyboard does work in single user mode and it works as I boot up as well. The keyboard stops working the second it asks for you username. I tried uninstalling freenx but it still doesn't work...
Kaleb

Omega Blue
27th May 2006, 05:45 AM
Try clicking on cancel first.

complete-noobie
27th May 2006, 10:37 PM
I can't find a cancel button on FC5 login screen-Kaleb

complete-noobie
28th May 2006, 12:35 AM
Hey guys-I just found out what went wrong with my Linux computer. I started uninstalling a bunch of programs that I installed lately and it seemed to have worked. I don't know which program for sure but its either gnomad2 or xfree86. Anyways, thank you for your help!! Kaleb

gavinw6662
28th May 2006, 03:12 AM
Hey guys-I just found out what went wrong with my Linux computer. I started uninstalling a bunch of programs that I installed lately and it seemed to have worked. I don't know which program for sure but its either gnomad2 or xfree86. Anyways, thank you for your help!! Kaleb

It was probably xfree86 - FC5 used xorg now - you shouldn't have a need for the xfree86 packages anymore as it is the competetitor to xorg.