PDA

View Full Version : Gnome windows take ~10 seconds to open

drudd
26th May 2006, 10:39 PM
I'm running Fedora core 5 and having trouble with Gnome. Gnome applications (gnome-terminal, gcalc, aisleriot, etc) all take ~10 seconds to open.

The system isn't heavily loaded, and there's plenty (~500MB) of ram free, and once open all applications are very responsive.

It feels like there's something within the Gnome libraries that's holding things up (trying to load some configuration or somethig), or potentially something timing out.

I've looked through the logs and the only suspicious thing I've noticed is with gconf (in /var/log/messages):
"Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/drudd/.gconf" to a writeable configuration source at position 1"
"Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 2"
"Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/druidd/.gconf" to a writeable configuration source at position 0"

Any ideas? Is it affiliated with gconf, or something completely different?

Thanks,
Doug

Seve
27th May 2006, 12:11 AM
Hello:
I have no idea! Have you updated your system as well as video drivers?
I am running both 32 and 64 bit and have not experienced what you are describing ... at least not yet.
Seve

ironcamel
27th May 2006, 02:21 AM
what kind of CPU are you using?

My fedora box is a 1.2 Athlon and it takes about that long to load windows. On my Athlon64 3000+ it is pretty much instant.