PDA

View Full Version : ATI and Livna

crossmr
26th May 2006, 05:52 PM
I'm wondering if anyone uses the drivers straight from ATI instead of those provided by Livna? I think like wine the livna ones seem to lag behind just a bit.

Ati provides them as a .run file but has anyone tried installing them as such on Fedora? Did you have to do anything besides just running that? Did you remove the old livna ones first if you had them installed?

daneel971
26th May 2006, 06:21 PM
To tell you the truth, I'm generally not anxious to get new drivers - if the ones that I have work, I won't change them.
Anyway, the problem with ati/nvidia driver as provided by manufacturers is it that they overwrite system files, so if you uninstall them X won't properly load anymore. Livna take care of all this stuff with their rpms, so these latter are the best choice. If you want to use the original ones, you have to take some countermeasure. There's a page about this on ht eweb, but I don't remember the link.

tebbens
26th May 2006, 06:42 PM
Unless you know what your doing, use Livna !

crossmr
26th May 2006, 10:26 PM
Well, I like to learn and ATI has been improving performance and features with each driver release. Last driver release showed a 10% boost in framerates in benchmarks (third paty not done by ati) if anyone happens to know where that page is, I'd appreciate it.