PDA

View Full Version : Password Protect LOCK SCREEN !!!

gserghiou
26th May 2006, 12:31 PM
Hi dudes.

I am no expert on Linux. Had some experience with it before (a few years ago).

I have obtained and installed FC5. I am using it primarily for SQUID .

However i have encountered the problems that others have , like VNC not working unless you are logged in.

I ave been trying to sort it out for ages but i had no luck.

So, i thought, i will be loged in the FC5 machine, LOCK the screen and then the VNC should be working (i think its VINO actually)
I have tried to puuty to ssh and then start vncserver and conenct to it but all i get its the X screen. I tried to startx from there to my FC which was booting in runlevel 3 but it froze on me.. (i got the screen though) :rolleyes:

Anyways...

When i log in as root, and try to LOCK SCREEN, it does not password protect it.

When i log in a normal user, the LOCK SCREEN does not even work...

Can you help me please and tell me how i can set FC to password protect the LOCK SCREEN ???? if i could do this, then i would log in as normal user, or even root if the vnc would not work under normal user, and have FC accept connections from my XP PC only, on which im set in local Security database as the only authorized person to log on....

I think this would save me all the hussle.

Pleae help dudes.

Thanks,

George :cool:

giulix
26th May 2006, 12:54 PM
I use vnc (standard install) every day to connect to my home compy from the office (thru ssh). What is exactly that isn't workling ?

gserghiou
29th May 2006, 06:18 AM
I am doing this as this is mentioned on the internet.
This was the 'easiest' thing for me to do.

I start the FC5 in runlevel 3.
I use ssh to connect to it. i then issue the vncserver command and start the vnc. i do that correctly i do not remember the exact commands now. I then try to connect to the vnc server with my vnc client. I get to see the X windows screen (the one without icons and only a few options, and a concole. am i right that this is the X window screen ??? the gray one i mean. )

When i issued the startx command the FC pc seemed to freeze, and nothing happened on my vnc client desktop.

Am i missing something here ???

Anyways, if the solution is not a straight forward one, and i cannot tackle it (i am no linux expert) can you please give me directions-instructions as to password protect my LOCK SCREEN so i can try living the FC pc locked and trying to vnc in VINO ???

Thanks,

George

giulix
29th May 2006, 07:35 AM
This is a how-to (http://mediamax.streamload.com/giulix/Hosted/tunneling-VNC-through-SSH.doc) I have written some time ago that works for me. I start the system to runlevel 5 and then open a tunneled ssh connection to it. When the server's up, I connect from the client. After a few minutes of inactivity the remote connection times out and the password-protected screensaver pops up on the server. I hope I have correctly understood what you are trying to achieve.

gserghiou
29th May 2006, 09:04 AM
Hi Giulix,

Im afraid your link does not work for me :(.

We go on the net through a controlled line, and the 'ISP' has streamload.com blocked.

HTTP 502 Proxy Error - The ISA Server denies the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). (12202)
Internet Security and Acceleration Server

Is there another way URL ??? to get it ??

Thanks,

George

ilja
29th May 2006, 09:09 AM
In order to Lock the Screen you have to enable a screensaver. Is it enabled?

giulix
29th May 2006, 09:27 AM
Whoa!! :eek: works fine here... If you send my a PM with your e-mail address, I will send it to you as an attachment...

MrMoke
29th May 2006, 04:01 PM
Wow - Great article. I upgraded from (FC 4) to (FC 5) yesterday, and then started working through the issues that I "knew" would be there. One annoying thing that popped up is the screen saver timout when using a VNC session. I have screen saver values of 3 minutes for timeout and 30 secs for password using KDesktop.
This worked fine for me before, but with FC5 the VNC window will timeout somewhere between 5 secs and 30 secs (random durations). The same behavior is apparent in either the Java Web interface or using the VNC client program.
When using VNC the screensaver timer appears to be broken, but the password delay after screensaver appears to work properly. Regular sessions work properly.

Anybody else seen this behavior? :confused: