PDA

View Full Version : gij is just not there yet... sadly.

Thetargos
25th May 2006, 06:07 AM
After having being faithful with gij for the last months, I must admit that it simply doesn't cut it, or not just yet. I started to have some troubles with it and some Java applications. For simple Java applications it works reasonably well, but when you add to the mix more complex apps like Azureus (even the one in Extras) problems start to manifest themselves... alarmingly.

First off, the problem with memory. Right now on my system, FC5 x86_64, gij uses about ~300Mb of RAM (and that's with a modest app) it can go easily up to 400-500Mb with Azureus (depending on the time the app has been running). Not only that, but gij will also eat a LOT and I mean a LOT of CPU time which hinders peformance badly (the whole system feels sluggish). Another problem is that once I close all the applications, gij will continue execution, like its hung or something, and I have to resort at killing the process with extreme prejudice, i.e kill -9 <pid>.

I AM amazed at how the gij devs have managed to get it to this state where it actually runs a lot applications almost seamlessly, but lacks on the memory usage and performance sides. That's why after giving the sotware a try for some months, I have come to the decision of enabling my currently installed Sun JRE 1.5 installation to use my OS agnostic Java applications. It is actually a pitty I would have to do this, as I really like the idea of a FREE (libre) Java virtual machine for Linux and other 'Unices'... i'm sure that in time it'll get there, but for the time being, it simply does not.

I'll keep an eye open for gij and its current usefulness. I'm pretty sure the developers are aware of all the issues with it, and are working their backs off to get these issues resolved ASAP as time permits (they've got a life too, and most likely, work on other stuff for money and use their spare time on gij). All I have to say to them is: Keep up the good work, I'll try and help anyway I can, if it only means trying out the program for compatibility.