PDA

View Full Version : yum: any way to skip certain primary.xml.gz download?

schwim
25th May 2006, 05:53 AM
Hi there guys,

I wanted to install kasablanca, so I ran yum. During the course of the extras primary.xml.gz download, I got one disconnect and 8 metadata/checksum failures.

This means that to get a program that weighs less than 200kb, I had to download 9mb worth of bogus metadata.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem except I am on a spotty dial-up connection, usually running at about 33kbps. It is excrutiating to watch the metadata checksum error cheerfully pop up time after time.

Is there any way to skip the extras download? If not, is there a way to pick a mirror that "usually" works ok?

I've searched the forums, and read that you should try it as far away from the hour as possible, because that's when the data files are being changed, but I did this last one at 12:27, which is as far away from the hour as I can get, and I still get this problem.

thanks,
json

Jman
26th May 2006, 04:14 AM
Unfortunately this happens, sometimes the mirrors aren't in sync or. And the only way to manually change a mirror is to edit the .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d

However, installing yum-fastestmirror will calculate which are the fastest for you.

schwim
26th May 2006, 04:17 AM
Hi Jman,

thanks for the reply. I already installed fastestmirror(at your suggestion, I think), and I see that it runs on yum startup, but the problem seems just as bad.

I imagine that it's not such a big deal to people with a fast connection, but boy it hurts to watch it at 30+k :)

thanks,
json