PDA

View Full Version : Grub problem seriously need anyone help

fire_chrome
24th May 2006, 09:41 PM
orait.. i have install FC3 at my server sudenly.. it hang and after i try to reboot the grub loader does not appear as normal.. idont know what happen.. seriously need your help im juz a newbie here... plzzz

TetrisSmalls
24th May 2006, 10:27 PM
Do you or did you have Windows installed on the server? When I uninstalled Fedora the first time, whenever I restarted my computer it would just say "GRUB" when I booted, and I didn't have the option to go to Windows, so I had to reinstall Fedora again to be able to boot to an operating system. Not sure if the bootloader is messed up or not. I'd like to know what his problem is, and how to fix it as well...if anyone can decipher his post.

fire_chrome
24th May 2006, 10:30 PM
nope, it juz happen suddenly do u know how to recover back the grub loader?

tomcat
24th May 2006, 10:50 PM
Insert the rescue cd, launch
chroot /mnt/sysimage
/sbin/grub-install /dev/hdX (replace X with drive letter (e.g. hda, hdb))

Tashiro
24th May 2006, 10:53 PM
Hey fire_chrome,

What error message do you get? If grub boots but then complaints look in your /boot/grub/grub.conf, else:

Try booting with a rescue disk. Then at the commandline type:

grub

You'll now see a "grub>" prompt, type:

root (0,0)
(0,0) the first "0" is you first drive and the second "0" your first partition on that drive. In this example the /boot directory is on the first drive on the first partition (/dev/hda1).

give this command:
setup (hd0)
and finally to exit the grub setup and return to the cli again:
quit
The above reinstalls grub on the mbr.

Tashiro

Beepa
24th May 2006, 11:16 PM
Say Tashiro, I was reading this thread hoping to find some help with my own boot problem, when you have time would you please look at my boot post?? Grub - boot problem? posted by Beepa? :D

fire_chrome
25th May 2006, 01:27 PM
both command cannot work huhu... itry to find the grub.conf, but it does not find.. any grub
huhu

tomcat
25th May 2006, 02:04 PM
Try with "locate grub.conf" or "locate menu.lst" (maybe you need to launch slocate instead of locate on FC3, dunno.).