PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird not showing alert when new mail arrives

ijzer666
24th May 2006, 08:24 PM
Hi all,

Under "Thunderbird preferences" -> "When new messages arrive" I both have "Show an alert" and "Play a sound" checked. But when a new message arrives both these things do not happen...

Any ideas?

blue13130
24th May 2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah I have never had these functions work for me. Do let me know if you figure something out!

sej7278
24th May 2006, 09:40 PM
yeah, i could really use the sound on new mail feature, i guess it only works on windows - or doesn't work at all....?

ijzer666
24th May 2006, 09:50 PM
yeah, i could really use the sound on new mail feature, i guess it only works on windows - or doesn't work at all....?

It seems it is only working on windows. It would be better to either fix this option on linux or remove if from the thunderbird preferences menu. Having the option there while it is not implemented seems a bit silly.

I'm trying out mail-notification from extras right now. At a first glance it is working very well.

Spookster
25th May 2006, 04:59 AM
I'm trying out mail-notification from extras right now. At a first glance it is working very well.

Yeah it works pretty good but unfortunately it doesn't filter out spam so unlike Thunderbird which will send most all spam to the junk mail the mail-notification alerts for every single email including all the spam. That gets annoying when you get a barrage of spam emails.

u-noneinc-s
25th May 2006, 05:16 AM
Well that is strange, Mine does work . FC5 with Thunderbird 1.5.0.2. KDE-3.5.2. I have system sounds turned off (arts I guess) and tried
a "custom wav" and it works

No "alert" though. I guess that's a panel or taskbar pop up or something?
--
akk, akk akk...

u-noneinc-s
25th May 2006, 05:21 AM
I spoke too soon. It plays sound once then won't play again 'til I restart Thunderbird

ijzer666
25th May 2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah it works pretty good but unfortunately it doesn't filter out spam so unlike Thunderbird which will send most all spam to the junk mail the mail-notification alerts for every single email including all the spam. That gets annoying when you get a barrage of spam emails.

You are right about the spam annoyances. But at this point mail-notification is my only option. The thunderbird new mail popup just does not work in my case.

A big plus (in my opinion) for mail-notification is that you don't need to keep thunderbird open...

Omega Blue
25th May 2006, 09:34 AM
If you don't keep it open how does it know if there are new e-mail messages?

ijzer666
25th May 2006, 09:45 AM
If you don't keep it open how does it know if there are new e-mail messages?

It runs in the background and checks for new mail every x minutes.

tornadof3
25th May 2006, 11:45 AM
Hi, I copied the wav file from my friend's windows thunderbird installation and it does play the custom wav fine, but the visual alert doesn't work. I've attached the WAV file for anyone who likes that specific sound...

marisdembovskis
21st September 2006, 02:36 PM
Is there any solution for this problem?
I put topic about this problem in thunderbird support, but still no answers!
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=465386&highlight=

ijzer666
11th August 2007, 01:02 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/thunderbird/addon/2610

marcrblevins
11th August 2007, 08:47 PM
In english:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2610

marcrblevins
11th August 2007, 08:52 PM
Don't thanks me, thanks ijzer666, I just removed the /nl/ from his link and mine end automatically found english version. :P

Thanks ijzerr666 for the original link

Hlingler
11th August 2007, 09:44 PM
Hello:

Although this is an old thread, the problem still persists. I recently installed Thunderbird thunderbird-2.0.0.5-1.fc6.remi from Remi's repo, plus a few add-ons, and wondered why T-Bird crashed every time I opened it - and never displayed new messages notifications.

Turns out it was one of the add-ons (Tango Icon Themes in this case) that was causing the crashes when trying to open/display the new messages notification. The problem was difficult to isolate, but easy to fix by disabling that add-on. Now new mail notifications works just fine.

Installing more add-ons to correct such problems may work in some cases, but based on my experience, I would recommend the (more difficult but probably better) way to fix T-Bird (and Firefox) crashes/functionality problems is to disable all add-ons, then enable them one at a time and test the application.

Thanx and Regards,
Vince

zenarcher
11th August 2007, 09:45 PM
I have kind of a strange deal, which may be related to this problem. I have a custom .wav for email notification with Thunderbird. It was working fine...then, I did some updates using KYum. Since that time, part of the .wav plays, but not all of it. The same happened to the custom .wav I set with Firefox Splash Extension. Yet, the custom start and shutdown .wav I'm using play just fine. All other sound plays fine, as well. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty well convinced it was some Gnome update that is the culprit.

The reason I suspect a Gnome update, is that the very same thing happened with my other box, running SUSE 10.2. There, I had Gnome updates active using SMART. Once I did Gnome updates, the problem began. Other systems here, basically set the same way, I disabled Gnome updates in SMART and do not have the problem. All other updates have been done and the custom .wav files play just fine.

I don't have a clue as to how to troubleshoot or fix it, or what update caused the issue. I've merely learned that running a KDE desktop, I no longer do any Gnome updates and everything works great.

Cheers,
zenarcher

Hlingler
11th August 2007, 09:54 PM
Hello:

Another good way to diagnose these types of problems is to start the application from the command line (but not in the background). That way, you get to see any error output. Also, for T-Bird and Firefox, there's the built-in JavaScript Console, where you can see warnings/errors output. Using both of these methods was key for me to diagnose what was causing my T-Bird crashes.

Regards,
V

zenarcher
12th August 2007, 12:33 AM
In my case, I don't get a crash....just get half of the sound file playing in either Firefox Splash or Thunderbird mail announce.

I started Firefox from a terminal and here's what I get:

[zenarcher@localhost ~]$ firefox

Not very informative, Firefox just opens normally but half of the sound file plays from the Splash.

I'm positive it has something to do with Gnome, since after doing Gnome updates, the problem appeared both in Fedora and SUSE 10.2. So long as I don't do Gnome updates, everything is normal.

Cheers,
zenarcher

marisdembovskis
13th August 2007, 07:20 AM
in Fedora 7 works out of box.
allert by new mail arrival.

zenarcher
13th August 2007, 06:54 PM
Yes, it does work out of the box in Fedora 7. Mine worked fine out of the box, until I did some Gnome updates....that's when the problem began.

Cheers,
zenarcher