PDA

View Full Version : Openbox and Pypanel

larry77
24th May 2006, 07:09 PM
Hi,
I installed Openbox and Pypanel on my Laptop running Ubuntu following the instructions in a wiki. Although I like Gnome, on some old boxes it uses too many resources.
I wonder if I can do the same with Fedora (I am totally new to it and I installed it on a very up-to-date desktop PC) and be able to use them as a desktop alternative to Gnome.
It is not a necessity --- Gnome is fine on that machine --- but I like to play a bit with things and it would help me to understand better Fedora.
Other question: the release of Fedora 6 is far away, but can one upgrade from a version to another or is it better to go for a fresh install?
Cheers

Lorenzo

Jman
25th May 2006, 04:22 AM
Which instructions did you follow? You can probably can follow them with minimal changes.

Packaging them into rpms is preferred, once you figure out how to build it.

Clean install is most likely to work. Working from a blank partition the installer is fairly predictable. It is when you give it an unknown state with some third party packages and who knows what in the rpm database that it can get interesting.

larry77
25th May 2006, 03:25 PM
Which instructions did you follow? You can probably can follow them with minimal changes.

Packaging them into rpms is preferred, once you figure out how to build it.

Clean install is most likely to work. Working from a blank partition the installer is fairly predictable. It is when you give it an unknown state with some third party packages and who knows what in the rpm database that it can get interesting.
Hi,
Thanks for your help. I was suggested this tutorial:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Openbox
to learn how to install openbox in an Ubuntu system.

Larry

Jman
26th May 2006, 04:28 AM
Oh, it says apt-get install Debian packages. That won't work.

Download it from the main site, apparently http://www.openbox.org/ and compile it.

larry77
26th May 2006, 07:40 AM
Alright...so the changes in the procedure are really minimal!

Larry