PDA

View Full Version : boot: clean

linedpaper
24th May 2006, 02:08 AM
My fedora box locked up and I got lazy and pressed the reset button instead of ssh in and rebooting it, now it does the boot: clean thing when it boots up and just freezes there. How can I fix this?

thanks,
tim

craftyminion
24th May 2006, 02:37 AM
My fedora box locked up and I got lazy and pressed the reset button instead of ssh in and rebooting it, now it does the boot: clean thing when it boots up and just freezes there. How can I fix this?

thanks,
tim

Boot from your rescue disk and run fsck from the prompt.

# fsck /dev/hda1 <---- insert device name of root partiition here

crfatyminion

linedpaper
24th May 2006, 03:19 AM
No go...it's still freezing up. I even tried running it with the -f option to force the check.

/:clean, 126970/9484160 files. 1122225/9480358 blocks06 [OK]
/boot: clean, 32/26104 files. 12903/104388 blocks

linedpaper
24th May 2006, 06:06 PM
bump...anyone else have any ideas. i need to recover at least to back everything up!

thanks,
tim

tornadof3
25th May 2006, 12:01 PM
Do you have access to another machine? Perhaps you could remove the HD and put it into another 'working' system and try mounting it to either run fschk or attempt to retrieve some data? If you can boot from the rescue CD is it possible to FTP/SSH into another machine and try and dump the data across?

linedpaper
25th May 2006, 01:16 PM
There are 3 hard drives in there. One of them is the system, the other two are software raided with all of my recordings on them (mythtv box). I am going to rebuild the system and remount the recordings, my only loss will be the mysql database which sucks, but I guess there's not much else I can do at this point!

tebbens
25th May 2006, 01:57 PM
Maybe if you boot to a Live CD Distribution...then you can any Linux tools to recover your data.
http://www.knoppix.org/

linedpaper
25th May 2006, 04:17 PM
Hmm...I didn't think about that. Good idea thanks. I am pretty confident that my data is fine as it's on a separate physical drive than the system partitions. I have an external drive to move everything over to, I was planning on redoing my system anyways and moving to fc5, when I upgraded mythtv to .19 I kinda killed a bunch of stuff anyways. Well my last final is in an hour so I'll actually have some free time to mess with it after that...thanks!