PDA

View Full Version : How to use fdisk?? I get "command not found" message

StephenT
23rd May 2006, 05:56 PM
I'm using Fedora Core 5 and I can't get fdisk to work. I've tried it both as a user and as superuser. I tried it by specifying -l and by /dev/hda. What am I missing? Isn't fdisk a valid command under Fedora?

I am using the terminal within gnome.

I am a relatively new user of Linux, and am still learning the basics.

What I am looking for is something similar to Windows Disk Management.

Thanks for any help.

scotta3234
23rd May 2006, 05:57 PM
Did you do

su -

wont work without the dash

-Edit- You could also try getting Qtparted (available through yum_ as a partitioning tool.

Mat
23rd May 2006, 05:58 PM
if you've logged in as root by issuing "su", than you need to start fdisk by "/sbin/fdisk"..

to prevent that, log in as root by issuing "su -" (notice the dash).. then you can just run "fdisk"

Mat

StephenT
23rd May 2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks! Works like a charm with the dash.

What utility will let me see the type of file system (ext2, ext3, etc.) and let me check for errors? I called up fsck and noted that I shouldn't run it on a mounted disk.

Thanks.

tashirosgt
23rd May 2006, 07:29 PM
In the fdisk options, there is one to print the partition info. This shows the code for the file type. There is another option to list the codes for the available file types. (One must always pause to figure out whether the numbers go to the file types to the left of them or the right of them, when they are printed.)

If you use LVM, you will have to use some of the lvm-tools to print out lvm related details.

Mat
23rd May 2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks! Works like a charm with the dash.

What utility will let me see the type of file system (ext2, ext3, etc.) and let me check for errors? I called up fsck and noted that I shouldn't run it on a mounted disk.

Thanks.

fsck is the right tool for that... you just need to unmount the partitions first.
If you only have one partition or you want to check your root (/) partition, then you need to start your PC with the rescue CD (or any lievCD you like) and run fsck from there

Mat