PDA

View Full Version : How to use multiple RPM repositories without conflict in Fedora5?

newyilang
23rd May 2006, 01:56 PM
Well, I have used Livna as my main update repository for several months. It is really excellent. Rcently, I found that FreshRPM repository could offer a lot of multimedia plugin packages, and I really didn't want to miss such a repository.

Is it possible to use multiple repository without getting into mess? For instance, I installed bmp from FreshRPM, and XMMS from Livna. Every time I run #yum update, is it possible to update the packages by different repository respectively?

newyilang
23rd May 2006, 02:14 PM
I want to use Livna as my primary repository, but sometimes I would like to install packages from FreshRPM and ATrpm.

Take an example, I installed A B C D &E packages from FreshRPM, X Y &Z from ATrpm, and all other packages from Livna. Is it possible to update A B C D &E from FreshRPM, X Y &Z from ATrpm, and all the other packages from Livna respectively?

selbin
23rd May 2006, 02:43 PM
If you are using ATP u need to modify the source.list file telling from where to update

/etc/apt/sources.list

This file will have some data. u must enter new url path in new line
rpm URL Repository_Name
e.g
rpm ftp://redhat/ packman

newyilang
23rd May 2006, 02:50 PM
I use yum to update my system.

If I installed A from FreshRPM, everytime I rum #yum update, how could I prevent updating A package from Livna? You know, there are compatibility problems between the repositories.

newyilang
23rd May 2006, 02:52 PM
I use YUM rather than APT to update my system.

If I installed package B from FreshRPM, everytime I rum #yum update, how could I prevent updating package B from the default repository Livna? You know, there are compatibility problems between the repositories.

evans
23rd May 2006, 04:31 PM
In any repo that you do not want automatic updates from, make sure the line

enabled=0

is in the correspoding reponame.repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/

then you need to explicity use the flag --enablerepo=reponame.repo when executing the yum update command to look for packages in reponame.repo.