PDA

View Full Version : Online Package managers with a GUI

khanate
23rd May 2006, 08:08 AM
Does FC5 have any installed by default for accessing Livna and downloading the packages i want? something similar to YaST? i dont really want to have to use the commandline for everything.

robghealey
23rd May 2006, 08:22 AM
There is a program for a gui interface called yumex. It accesses a commandline program called yum. Get this package from livna http://rpm.livna.org//fedora/5/i386/livna-release-5-4.noarch.rpm . It will then be accessible from yumex.

I hope this helps. Write back if you need more information or help....

khanate
23rd May 2006, 09:01 AM
i have installed the package, now what do i type to start yumex? do i have to download the rest of the program from yum first?

Sorry if i am not making sense, first day with FC5, or any FC distro for that matter

robghealey
23rd May 2006, 10:30 AM
yes, you must install yumex first. Follow these steps:

1) open terminal window
2) type su -
3) type root password
4) type yum install yumex
5) close terminal
6) I can't remember where in the menu system it puts its icon, but find it and click it. I am not currently at home but using windows at work right now. Hate it!
7) it will ask for your root password as well.

Hope this helps out more.....

Don't apologize for needing to ask questions. We all started somewhere with whatever knowledge we had or didn't have regarding linux. I love the linux world and the community here.

khanate
23rd May 2006, 10:38 AM
Nvm got it sorted, along with mp3/mpeg support flash ect.

How do i test for 3D support? i downloaded both Nexuiz, and put my linux Quake 3 disk in, but neither will work

robghealey
23rd May 2006, 10:46 AM
Now you are out of my reach on things. I am not a gamer and do NOT know about them in Linux. I also do not have a 3d graphics accelaration card, so I can't help there either. Try searching for an answer that has already been posted or check the howtos section on this forum. Your problem might have already been asked and answered......

Sorry for not being able to help anymore....

khanate
23rd May 2006, 11:03 AM
No worries man, you helped heaps. Cheers.

robghealey
23rd May 2006, 11:11 AM
khanate:

I am glad that I was able to help you. Thanks for the posting back to me....

Mat
23rd May 2006, 01:32 PM
khanate, to check whether the acceleration works run "glxinfo | grep rendering" and the output should be yes.. furthermore run "glxgears" and the ouput should be significantly higher than before you've installed the drivers (assuming, you've run glxgears before the installation as well)

Mat

khanate
24th May 2006, 01:47 AM
Ahh i dont believe it, worked perfectly first time around!

Goodbye SuSE i have a new distro ;)