PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect to Beagle daemon

kevin tough
23rd May 2006, 07:35 AM
Just new to Fedora and I have a doggy problem. My Beagle is lost or something! The search functions all return the message "unable to connect to Beagle daemon". Would anyone be able to offer help as to where I can find my Beagle?

Would be greatly appreciated to have him back. Then I can search for where my Firefox and Seamonkey files really are and sort out why I have had no success in installing a Flash plugin.

Next time he gets to wear a collar!!

Thanks,

Kevin Tough

GL1800
23rd May 2006, 11:41 AM
Maybe some help. Start the daemon as your user, with beagled. That is supposed to get him going. Do a ps -ef and you should see him close to the bottom of the list. As he works, he will launch a helper process, which you can also see with ps. Because debugging is turned on by default, (it's beta software) you can do something like this from another terminal:
tail -f /home/whatever/.beagle/Log/current-Beagle
That should allow you to watch him at work. He is quite unobtrusive if you are using the machine, however, if you are not, or if the screensaver starts, he will become much more aggressive.
Good Luck with him

kevin tough
23rd May 2006, 08:58 PM
Maybe some help. Start the daemon as your user, with beagled. That is supposed to get him going. Do a ps -ef and you should see him close to the bottom of the list. As he works, he will launch a helper process, which you can also see with ps. Because debugging is turned on by default, (it's beta software) you can do something like this from another terminal:
tail -f /home/whatever/.beagle/Log/current-Beagle
That should allow you to watch him at work. He is quite unobtrusive if you are using the machine, however, if you are not, or if the screensaver starts, he will become much more aggressive.
Good Luck with him

Thanks for the reply. How does one "Start the daemon as your user, with beagled." I believe I understand what "ps" is about it's just that second line that I'm not following.

Kevin Tough

GL1800
23rd May 2006, 09:16 PM
It's often helpful to use a terminal when looking for what's going on with software. Reason: The terminal can spew messages, while if started from a menu, all those messages are lost. In fact, open 2 terminals, one to run beagle and one to watch his logs building. Yes, ps -ef just gets you a process list, so you can verify that beagled is actually running. Depending on how much "stuff" can be reached from your home folder, the first run may take some time. After that, he just needs to verify that he has it all, maybe add aor delete a few things, and it's much faster finishing up.

kevin tough
23rd May 2006, 09:49 PM
Perhaps it is too late here in Germany but my question is how do I start or run Beagle. The message refers to a daemon, what's that? Is it like what we knew years ago as a TSR.

Richard1098
23rd May 2006, 10:36 PM
Beagle Daemon is the indexing and search tool that runs as a background process.

/usr/bin/beagled

Add it as a start up process in Gnome Sessions Start up Programs. Once you do that, Beagle should start running on login and be accessable through Search.

GL1800
23rd May 2006, 10:37 PM
Exactly, and works in the same way. Now, today, thanks to modern programming platforms, threads can be started, and a LOT of work can proceed in parallel. Once you have a terminal showing on the desktop, just type beagled and it will start. Remeber now, when you start software in this way, often when you kill the starting terminal, the process dies with it. So, just minimize the terminal when you are not using it. Later, after you are sure it's working ok, there's another way to start it, which we will work on later.

GL1800
23rd May 2006, 10:38 PM
See Richard1098 for what we were going to do after you are satisfied it's working.

kevin tough
25th May 2006, 06:44 AM
Hey, thanks guys. Now I can search. :)
Is there a GUI where a person can select the range of the search?
For those of you reading this thread the above line to be entered in the start sessions is found through the menu item " System | Preferences | More Preferences | Sessions".

The Beagle has a very good nose ;)

Later,

Kevin

GL1800
25th May 2006, 11:08 AM
Range of the search? Not sure what you mean by that. On Gnome, there's a file somewhere on your machine named beagle-search.desktop, if dropped into ~/Desktop, you will have a nice icon on the desktop. Also, Nautilus does beagle searching by default, now. Don't miss the wonders of the applet, deskbar, which does beagle and a lot more. If you type .mp3, he will return every one you have. Then, follow that with artist:clapton, and there comes Eric's stuff. Or, album:mimi and there's Mariah's latest.

kevin tough
26th May 2006, 09:46 PM
In Bills world (MS), I have a gui and can do a search of a certain drive, folder or whatever I choose. So far with Fedora I open a file manager window and select the menu item Places | Search. I type some text in the textbox and Beagle searchs automatically. If I type very slow searches are started with those parts of the text I have entered. This all works quite well but how do I limit or direct the search to occur on a particular drive or directory?

The Penguin rocks with a Fedora hat!

Kevin Tough

GL1800
27th May 2006, 12:42 PM
Beagle's design is such that it should be run as your user. He sniffs only what he can get to from there. He knows nothing about other users stuff, nor stuff outside your ~/
He will follow anything mounted in there, (handy) also, but not symlinks, nor does he bother with dot files.
Beagle's strength is that he can find words, phrases, in txt, doc, odf, spreadsheets, etc.