PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Windows files/folders all come locked!!!

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 06:56 PM
Ok Every time I put a new file into my home file from the dvd backs I have from my windwos system they are locked and I have to change them to allow me to write to them... each folder level at a time... this is really pissing me off I can't just globally stop this or change them all I have 38 windows open just so I can delete my Halo game save that I brought over with my ROMS.

Thanks again guys.

LocutusOfBorg
22nd May 2006, 07:04 PM
Files and folders are probably read only because they come from a read-only medium. You can recursively change permissions on files and folders using find and chown once you have copied them on your hd.

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 07:33 PM
Whats chown? I am doing it the hard way now just being able to select all and go each level at a time... If there is an easier way it would def make this nicer.

LocutusOfBorg
22nd May 2006, 07:52 PM
sorry, I mean chmod.

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 07:53 PM
chmod, ok I will try that really quick, not sure how to use it.

LocutusOfBorg
22nd May 2006, 08:00 PM
cd into the top dir where you want to change the permissions.
then type

find -type d -exec chmod 755 \{} \;
and

find -not -type d -exec chmod 644 \{} \;
The first command will change to 755 the permissions of all the directory below that you are in (it affects only directories); the second command change the permissions of all the rest to 644.
Make some test before trying...

CrossGT-6
23rd May 2006, 01:11 AM
Thank u I will give it a try. Just ran into a problem with real player but after i post about that I will try this