PDA

View Full Version : No commands work in the terminal

Raafi
22nd May 2006, 01:06 PM
While trying to install something to run shoutcast, i was led to pine, and pico, which lead me to a missing dependency
[root@localhost ~]# wget ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/pine-4.44-18.i386.rpm
--07:37:07-- ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/pine-4.44-18.i386.rpm
=> `pine-4.44-18.i386.rpm'
Resolving rpmfind.net... 194.199.20.114, 195.220.108.108
Connecting to rpmfind.net|194.199.20.114|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /linux/redhat/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS ... done.
==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR pine-4.44-18.i386.rpm ... done.
Length: 2,615,268 (2.5M) (unauthoritative)

100%[====================================>] 2,615,268 555.88K/s ETA 00:00

07:37:14 (446.24 KB/s) - `pine-4.44-18.i386.rpm' saved [2615268]

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -q pine
package pine is not installed
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -Uvh pine-4.44-18.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libcom_err.so.3 is needed by pine-4.44-18.i386

so during the course of trying to find the missing dependency, it was located in x86-compat-libs-7.2-1.i386.rpm

which installed via firefox and install packages.

Well it seems after that as installed, NOTHING WORKS in the terminal. Each command gives the following output

[root@localhost ~]# yum clean all
/usr/bin/python: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by /lib/libpthread.so.0)
/usr/bin/python: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by /lib/libdl.so.2)
/usr/bin/python: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by /lib/libm.so.6)
/usr/bin/python: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /lib/libc.so.6)
/usr/bin/python: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by /lib/libc.so.6)
[root@localhost ~]# Is there anything i can do to repair this?

Raafi
22nd May 2006, 02:30 PM
So I rebooted the computer now i am in big trouble. Seems like I have now the same 'GKIBS_23' not found and a kernal panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

This doesnt look good. I cant start up the computer.

Raafi
22nd May 2006, 02:42 PM
OK, I put in the rescue disk, and bypassed the boot loader, Anaconda went thru the rest of the prompts automatically and told me to reboot the computer.

I rebooted and it still the same kernel panic.

Mat
22nd May 2006, 03:17 PM
let me assume, that you've installed a pine rpm for redhat... and let me further assume that missing x86-compat-libs-7.2-1.i386.rpm you've installed was for redhat too?

I guess that's the problem.. to bypass that, boot to rescue mode and let anaconda mount your root partition with write permissions (I think it will be mounted to /mnt/sysimage)... now type
% chroot /mnt/sysimage

now, you have access to your system again... next step is to remove the wrong packages again by typing
% rpm -e x86-compat-libs pine

now type exit to go back to the virtual filesystem of the rescue cd and another exit to reboot your computer...

everything should work now, and you can go on with looking for the appropriate packages for FC

Mat

ccrvic
22nd May 2006, 03:21 PM
While trying to install something to run shoutcast, i was led to pine, and pico, which lead me to a missing dependency[CODE][root@localhost ~]# wget ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/pine-4.44-18.i386.rpm

"...linux/redhat/9". You've just tried to install a RH9 RPM. Not a good idea...

so during the course of trying to find the missing dependency, it was located in x86-compat-libs-7.2-1.i386.rpm

which installed via firefox and install packages.

*Where* did you get that RPM from? Did you get the right RPM for your distribution?

Well it seems after that as installed, NOTHING WORKS in the terminal.

Not really surprising - you've just mixed a whole load of stuff up.

Is there anything i can do to repair this?

Boot with a rescue disk. Mount your filesystem and chroot to it.

Now remove x86-compat-libs-7.2-1.i386.rpm, reboot, & hope for the best.

Vic.

Raafi
22nd May 2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks Guys

I rebooted the computer, with the FC4 disk, I pressed F5 to rescue mode

I typed in (%chroot /mnt/sysimage) and it says it cannot find that kernel image

Mat
22nd May 2006, 04:35 PM
leave out that % sign.. it's just to show people, they need to enter an command

Mat

Raafi
22nd May 2006, 05:46 PM
Mat

When i type chroot /mnt/sysimage

the exact look is

boot: chroot /mnt/sysimage
Could not find kernel image: chroot

ccrvic
22nd May 2006, 05:53 PM
Mat

When i type chroot /mnt/sysimage

the exact look is

boot: chroot /mnt/sysimage
Could not find kernel image: chroot

Well it wouldn't. You haven't booted into rescue mode yet.

Boot into rescue mode (follow the instructions on screen) *then* chroot into your filesystem

Vic.

Raafi
22nd May 2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks CCRVIC

this is what i got

sh-3.00# chroot /mnt/sysimage
bin/sh: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by /lib/libdl.so.2)
bin/sh: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /lib/libc.so.6)
bin/sh: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found (required by /lib/libc.so.6)
sh-3.00# rpm -e x86-compat-libs pine
error: package x86-compat-libs is not installed
error: package pine is not installed

exit

when i reboot, it goes back to kill init

Raafi
22nd May 2006, 09:37 PM
No other suggestions?

Mat
22nd May 2006, 10:34 PM
hmm... looks like you've hosed the system... In your position, I'd make a backup (use a liveCD like knoppix to access your files and possibly your network or burner to store them away) and reinstall..

Or, if you really don't want to, you could try to manually delete all the files that belonged to the x86-compat-libs RPM, restore any configuration file backups that were made during the install of that package and rebuild your rpm database, since you've just deleted the package's content.

That might work, but I've never done something similar to that and honestly, I wouldn't devote my time into that "solution"

Mat

Raafi
23rd May 2006, 03:23 PM
Mat

I took your advice, reinstalled Fedora Core 4, from scratch, everything went smoothly

I went to the Unofficial Fedora page, did the yum.conf file, and the first thing i did was update the kernel -from the default to the newest one

I have no internet service when I use the newest kernel, 2.6-16-2111(?) so now I am accessing the internet from the original FC4 kernel (2.6.13-???). Is there a conflict somewhere, or is there a particular order I should reinstall everyting?

Or should i just go and get the FC5 disk?

Or should I wait for FC6?

Mat
23rd May 2006, 05:51 PM
updating your system does not follow a specific order.. so updating the kernel before anything else is not necesary.. and should normally pose no threat to your system

as to your connection: I have no clue, maybe look through this forum for people having the same problem with your hardware.. or create a new thread about that..

FC4 or FC5? well, FC4 will not be kept up-to-date (i.e. supported) as FC5, because that is younger.. also, FC5 is bleeding edge, so if you always want the newest stuff, go with that..
so if you need to reinstall everything, you could go with FC5 instead...

waiting for FC6? of course it will be the newest distribution of Fedora Core.. so you could wait.. but, FC7 will even be newer.. not to speak of FC8 ;)

conclusion: I don't know how much progress you've already had in customizing FC4 to your needs and if you will be able to fix your connection problem (I've got no doubt, you will find help here).. if you feel comfortable with your current installation, just stay with it.. otherwise get FC5 and install that

Mat

Raafi
23rd May 2006, 07:09 PM
thanks Mat

but a concern i have is that previous to this meltdown, i had everything updated and there were no problems, so i do not believe it is my hardware

my problem came with trying to do sometihng with shoutcast, which i will leave alone for a while

but also, i am not one to compile kernels or build rpms, i am pretty much a basic ex-windows guy, all i want to do is have this thing runing as smoothly as it was running two days ago

so my problem still exists, with the original kernel, i have internet access, but with the new kernel, i have none.

i had to reboot using the old kernel, and when i reboot using the new one, i dont have internet access.

I will look for what may be available on the forum, thanks for you assistance

if you can think of a quick check i can run, in the meantime, please let me know

Mat
23rd May 2006, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, I have not.. especially since you never stated, which type of connection you are using ;)

however, you have the newest kernel installed and just because of that, you are not forced to use that.. so unless you really need to use that one (e.g. security or compatibility issues) so it's absolutely alright just to continue using the old kernel... maybe until you find the solution to the connection problem.

somewhere with FC2 I had some issues with hardware not working after a kernel update, so I just used the previous kernel until the next kernel was released.. with that one everything was ok again.. even kernels don't need to be perfect :)

Mat

Raafi
23rd May 2006, 09:12 PM
thanks for everything mat

i will just use the old kernel