PDA

View Full Version : How to add items (wifi / usb camera/or anything else etc)

edj
22nd May 2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Ive just loaded Fedora from the linux 2006 bible. In an attempt to migrate or learn how to, from Bill-G's platforms.maybe because Im so used to the Windows Os taking control of additional hardware activation I cant see how to do what I require !. Im attempting to setup My Isp user/password items in the browser of Fedora core. And use & intialise the wifi to be able to browse the web from there. If anyone can give me a guide ,please do so .

..Thanks.

pmreid
23rd May 2006, 06:15 PM
With reference to USB cameras and other flash hard-drivve type things, especially if you're using the latest version of fedora (FC5), you should just be able to plug them in and go. If not, check to make sure the HAL service is running. You can check this by going to Administration -> Server Settings -> Services and ensuring the hal or hald is running and set to start on boot.

With refernece to ISP and browsers, the question is are you using a broadband connection or dial-up internet? If it's dial-up then you need to make sure you're not using a winmodem. If you don't know what that means, then in all likelihood you probably are so you should have a look at www.linmodems.org (http://www.linmodems.org). If you're using a broadband type internet connection, again you have two possibilities. If you are connecting to a switch/router by a network/ethernet connection, in all likelihood it will work "out of the box".

If however you're using a USB ADSL modem as supplied by most ISPs to connect to your broadband internet service, again there exists the possibility that this won't work straight away due to hardware drivers - if this is the case have a search around the forum or post back with what type of hardware you're using etc.

Hope that helps a little

edj
23rd May 2006, 06:41 PM
I use multiple drive caddies. each set with W98se/WinXP etc .now trying Linux types >I believe its the fedora 4 version.Ill have to check items as youve said & then put WinXp back in to access here .untill I get the ADSL modem activated on fedora. its an AMD 64 3000+2.4 ghz -1.gbmem ,9200 video. + DVDRW+/- drive .more later ..By the way .Thanks..

edj
23rd May 2006, 07:39 PM
apologies I forgot the most important bit of info .trying to use Dlink G640T adsl router/moden via wifi (well thats the hope anyway) not adsl usb generic type for ISP. In fact ive no idea how to configure it for fedora ,yet.

edj
23rd May 2006, 08:08 PM
I cant get into the Admin cant get access due to password . Although I didnt set one other than user type which came later in the set-up .So I assume theres a default one logged . Ill rerun the install to see what can be reset ....but I think if I cant get it to work then Ill get hold of version 5 & try that . get back to you shortly

edj
24th May 2006, 08:48 AM
that now sorted ,re installed added passw data & can now access it all including wifi set up .but didnt get it recognised.

Thanks for your help pmreid

pmreid
24th May 2006, 02:03 PM
If your're using an ADSL modem/router with wireless capability, then it will normally be the case that the router itself manages the connection to your ISP. Your router would normally have a 'web interface' to allow you to type in your ISP username/password. Your router than acts as a DHCP server to issue IP addresses to your client machines. If possible, try using a 'wired' connection to your router just to prove that your itnernet is working in Fedora, and then you can concentrate on getting your WiFi card working. If your WiFi is not autmatically detected, it may be the case it has a strange chipset. Or you may not have installed the required packages - I'm not too hot on Wifi issues. However if you post a relevant question on the 'Laptop' forum, there tends to be more support there as obviously ltos of laptop users use wifi.

edj
24th May 2006, 07:16 PM
Ill try & find out about the chipset Id .on the router .
Thanks again . I may try another flavour of linux if I cant resolve the fedora wifi
one.

tornadof3
25th May 2006, 11:56 AM
Experimenting with different linux flavours is always fun and it is the freedom linux entitles you to, but if you're having trouble getting the wifi card detected it could possibly be due to the kernel not recognising it, which would thence be distribution-independent.