PDA

View Full Version : sluggish performance

thchiang
22nd May 2006, 07:38 AM
My dual boot system is 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, plenty of harddisk space and I just installed FC5 last week (gnome) and besides calling yum to update my packages, I haven't tweaked the default settings.

One nagging thing I noticed is that FC5 runs noticeably more sluggish than win xp (on my dual boot system). This is based on my experience last week using it for web surfing with multiple tabs in firefox, starting applications is also a bit slower and switching back and forth (alt+tab) between applications is just painful. It's not THAT slow, but the half sec delay here and there is quite irritating.

In short, is there anything I can do to speed this thing up?? Or is it already running at its fastest. If that's the case, then it's rather sad.

terr9898
22nd May 2006, 08:46 AM
Open a terminal while you are using firefox -- run 'top' in it. When you notice a slow down in firefox, which process is using the most cpu?

thchiang
22nd May 2006, 11:50 AM
They are firefox and xorg...the rest are insignificant...
the video card detected is ATI, I've come across other people's installation notes regarding installing drivers from livna.repo, which I haven't done.
Is that the problem?? Thanks.

terr9898
22nd May 2006, 05:24 PM
I would certainly install the driver for that ATI card.

pparks1
22nd May 2006, 06:22 PM
thchiang,

My response is not usually liked in these parts regarding this question, but for "MOST EVERYTHING" I do on my Linux box, the desktop GNOME or KDE performance is slower than XP. And this is on machines with at 1.0ghz or better CPU, 512MB of RAM, etc.

But for me personally, I prefer the cost of Linux, the more secure browsing experience and being able to customize things just the way that i like them.....so I can tolerate the slightly slower response time from the applications that I use (firefox, gaim, openoffice, gimp, etc).

I wish that i knew of some tweaks to make my Linux box run Firefox and OpenOffice as fast or faster than XP running IE or MS Office, but I just haven't found them yet.

newfc2user
22nd May 2006, 07:09 PM
pparks1,

On slower machines like a PIII 300Mhz machine I have at home, I run enlightenment (e16) which gives me far better responsiveness than the stock GNOME/KDE that comes with FC3.
I haven't tried FC5 on that machine yet. But on my laptop with a 1.7Ghz I have FC5. When I run E17 on that, it appears blazing fast compared to GNOME.

thchiang
24th May 2006, 04:04 AM
Thank you guys for the replies...

If you can only point me to one single source of information (book, website...etc) on how to migrate from windows to fedora/linux, what will it be??