PDA

View Full Version : KDE & QT acting up on x86_64 Fedora.

Thetargos
22nd May 2006, 03:33 AM
Anyone else having problems with some KDE or QT applications under Core 5? After the last series of updates, I have been unable to run amaroK and K3B... Details, here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=533519#post533519).

I am also experiencing difficutlies accessing Bugzilla (to file a bug regarding this issue), any body has the same problem?

TIA!

tangotiger
22nd May 2006, 11:07 AM
Anyone else having problems with some KDE or QT applications under Core 5? After the last series of updates, I have been unable to run amaroK and K3B... Details, here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=533519#post533519).

Me too :mad: ! Except that I found out the hard way... I thought I screwed my computer installing a bad package and reinstalled fc5 for the whole day only to find out that *that* wasn't the problem. Since my clean install crashed after updating, I guess it's a broken update. I'm using x86_64 btw. I think my fc5 got broken about two days ago.

Found out too that it's not necessarily a KDE problem. Lyx also dies, so maybe it's QT. Other applications that I tried to open and got killed are like amarok, k3b, konsole, noatun, kplayer, juk, konqueror, some kioslaves etc. Managed to log in to my KDE but can't do anything else. :(

Tquilha
22nd May 2006, 10:21 PM
Hello, so far one single problem : on KDE control center, if i try to configure screensavers the whole system freezes. CTRL-ALT-Backspace does not work. I need to reboot to get it working again. :confused:

Thetargos
23rd May 2006, 01:59 AM
Me too :mad: ! Except that I found out the hard way... I thought I screwed my computer installing a bad package and reinstalled fc5 for the whole day only to find out that *that* wasn't the problem. Since my clean install crashed after updating, I guess it's a broken update. I'm using x86_64 btw. I think my fc5 got broken about two days ago.

Found out too that it's not necessarily a KDE problem. Lyx also dies, so maybe it's QT. Other applications that I tried to open and got killed are like amarok, k3b, konsole, noatun, kplayer, juk, konqueror, some kioslaves etc. Managed to log in to my KDE but can't do anything else. :(
Ok, so I'm not alone on this... that's good. Have you been able to file a bug report? I haven't tried to file one today, but yesterday all day bugzilla seemed to be down (for me) for some reason.

It has GOT to be a bad QT update, and this has GOT to be corrected ASAP, as there are a lot of KDE users out there, so please if one of the mods could sticky a warning NOT to update the QT packages on x86_64 that would prevent other users from these problems.

By the way, this seems to only affect x86_64 systems.

Hello, so far one single problem : on KDE control center, if i try to configure screensavers the whole system freezes. CTRL-ALT-Backspace does not work. I need to reboot to get it working again. :confused:
Does this happen with any Screensaver or only the 3D ones? If only the 3D ones, more details about your hardware would be necessary (graphics card, drivers used, etc). Also, are you on x86_64 (AMD64/EM64T, fully updated? (if so, could you please check the above errors?)

tangotiger
23rd May 2006, 02:47 AM
Ok Bugzilla's online. Bug no 192788 (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=192788)

Hope this gets fixed cos I can't do a lot of things on my com without amarok running :D. Incidentally, it's my first bug report. w00t!

Thetargos
23rd May 2006, 03:19 AM
Excellent! you beat me to it. Thaks for contributing back to the community! :D

mtl2002
23rd May 2006, 03:30 AM
Well, I am *also* having trouble with kde applications, on a regular i386.
I do not know if it is the same problem -- the applications will open and run, but closing them generates a SIGSEGV 11 error. I posted about it here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=110238

but no one responded, so I wasn't sure if it was just me or not. But I'm going to assume that this is the same error (whew, not just me!!), so I added to your bug report. :)

Thetargos
23rd May 2006, 05:29 AM
Interesting to see i686 having an issue similar to this... I'm not that sure they are the same issue, but what's patent is that the latest QT update does have issues. Thanks for adding your input to the bug report!

Thetargos
23rd May 2006, 10:18 AM
Those who posted in Bugzilla, already should know, but this is solved by removing the scim-qtimm package, apparently this is a bug in such module for QT.

mtl2002
23rd May 2006, 11:51 AM
Removing scim-qtimm fixed the problem on i686 as well. BUT the weird thing is that this package has not changed since installation of FC5 (which for me was April 02, 2006), and yet the problems didn't start until last week.

tangotiger
23rd May 2006, 12:14 PM
Fix works. Glad this is over and I can get back to doing my things. Then again, it is true that there was a whole slew of scim updates last week... I'm not really informed about this, but I have my suspicions. lol :D

Thetargos
23rd May 2006, 08:31 PM
Removing scim-qtimm fixed the problem on i686 as well. BUT the weird thing is that this package has not changed since installation of FC5 (which for me was April 02, 2006), and yet the problems didn't start until last week.
scim did not change (for i686) but QT did.