PDA

View Full Version : Non-Destructive XGL Guide?

ScottishCaptain
22nd May 2006, 03:15 AM
Greetings to all!

I'm just wondering- is anyone interested in (yet another) XGL Guide on Fedora Core 5?

I've done some work, and it isn't hard at all to build, compile, and install XGL completly under /opt. Libraries and all. Thus, if XGL ever barfs, it's just a matter of 'rm -rf'ing /opt, and starting over.

The guide sitting under HowTo is a good one, although I don't entirely agree with some of the things that it does to /usr and /usr/lib. If you aren't careful and or don't know what you are doing, you might even land up overwriting some important stuff in /usr/lib64 or /usr/lib64/pkgconfig.

It is also entirely possible to install XGL without building Control-Center from sources and force removing the RPM, which simply requires creating a package config and plopping down some files *obtained from* control-center's TAR, but not actually installing it. It isn't hard to do :rolleyes:...

As I said, I'll write the howto if anyone is interested. The guide will basically ensure that everything is installed under /opt, and that nothing (and I mean nothing) of the Fedora system is actually touched or modified in any way. Yes, it is possible.

Cheers!
-S'Captain

QuantumKnot
22nd May 2006, 04:40 AM
Please do. :)

icydog
22nd May 2006, 06:02 AM
I agree!

I have to type more than ten characters to post so I'm typing useless characters here.

enabl
22nd May 2006, 07:53 AM
Sounds good to me ScottishCaptain, go on do it :)

estrakay
22nd May 2006, 03:21 PM
@SottishCaptain: That sounds really great... Maybe you could include how to get the most recent packages from CVS so we can avoid the latest issues. Compiz and co. are under heavy development... :cool:

I installed Suse 10.1 and the System was really running smooth with XGL.. not so Fedora and the other rpm solutions ! I do not know why. :eek:

gilboa
23rd May 2006, 03:01 AM
It is even possible to get Xgl working without borking the system?

ScottishCaptain
23rd May 2006, 08:37 PM
Yes, it is possible. You just install everything under /opt. It isn't hard to rebuild the control-center SRPM so that you get control-center-devel RPM out of it, thus eiminating the need to install control-center from source (ie, make install to /usr).

My guide is up over at:
http://www.sailingcrusade.com/?page_id=39

I'll do my best to keep it up to date.

I am also looking into hosting my own repository (probably xgl.sailingcrusade.com) with some binary RPM's that install everything to /opt the way the guide sets it up. I think that should generally boost the sucsess rate of RPM XGL installations, since I'll just take everything under /opt minus the source directory and shove it all into a RPM for easy installation (libraries, compiz, gnome-window-decorator, XGL and all).

I've already got a AMD64 and a Xeon/i386 box(s) at hand, so it shouldn't be too hard to compile the stuff- just gotta figure out how RPM works.

-S'Captain

QuantumKnot
24th May 2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks. I'm gonna try it now :D

ScottishCaptain
24th May 2006, 03:15 AM
Just a side note.

I'm having problems when you cut and paste the commands directly. In particular, even though the website says "--", the terminal only recieves one "-", killing some of the "--prefix" commands.

For whatever reason, it gets really screwy when you cut and paste into something like Terminal.

Obviously, typing things out by hand fixed the problem. I'm not sure what's wrong with it- I guess something is getting borked between Firefox and Terminal.

-S'Captain

gilboa
24th May 2006, 02:52 PM
ScottishCaptain,

Thanks.
While I'm a KDE user, I'll try to free some time to try your howto.
Thanks.

enabl
24th May 2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks ScottishCaptain the walkthrough works fine for me :) only problem I get is with the compiz compile with the -pthread and -ldrm switches, it fails with a unrecognised switch. So I compiled without -pthread and -ldrm then compiled again with the switches and it worked.

voice_of_buddha
24th May 2006, 06:08 PM
The guide looks fine but it's annoying, that --prefix turns to -prefix, or --enable to --enable aso. I checked the website and it seems to me rather a problem with the site, that a Firefox -> Terminal problem. Even if I only look at --prefix I do only see -prefix.

Maybe you could fix it, because I think that many pals will stumble.

voice_of_buddha
26th May 2006, 01:01 AM
Thanks, ScottishCaptain! Now, with the code-boxes, it looks much better. Excellent work.

flea
26th May 2006, 04:42 AM
so does this work or what?

eh testing it anyways :p

btw, step 5 requires libdrm-devel, libXmu-devel, libXt-devel package

voice_of_buddha
26th May 2006, 07:37 AM
so does this work or what?

eh testing it anyways :p

Not yet. I do not get the control-center-devel at step 6. control-center and control-center-debuginfo appear, but without the devel I cannot go on.

Another approach would be to compile, make and install control-center from source. But with what prefix?

enabl
26th May 2006, 06:14 PM
voice_of_buddha it only made a control-center rpm for me too, so I just installed that instead. It all worked ok for me but ymmv. Thanks again ScottishCaptain, I've been basking in the xgl niceness for the last few days now :)