PDA

View Full Version : mplayer still can't play all formats... or xine... help with wmv

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 03:12 AM
Ok I installed the all codecs pack but I still can not play wmv files.

I changed the name to avi and asf and I can hear them but I can not see them. I was sure there was a solution to this but I have found nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I played with the w32codec rpm I believe and installed it I have installed a lot today trying to get GYACH-E working and gave up.

So a little help is greatly appriciated.

---Update I found that windows media 9 is what I can not play, everything else seems ok... some asf plays just not all... so is it still a x86_64 issue or is it something else?

Thetargos
22nd May 2006, 03:29 AM
.wmv files won't play at all on 64-bit systems (something to do with the .dlls being 32-bit and the players being 64-bit, I think), however, if you have an x86, you should be able to playback them just fine. Make sure xine and mplayer are looking at the right location (you can actually point xine to where to look for the codecs)

smfinley
22nd May 2006, 03:30 AM
See the yum, xine, extra codecs, totem-xine, and mplayer sections of Fedora Core 5 Installation Notes (http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html). (You will have to install 32 bit Firefox to view .wmv plugins with mplayerplug-in as described in the Notes if you have 64 bit Firefox.)

SlowJet
22nd May 2006, 03:30 AM
I never tried as I thoht I would end up like you. :)

But I used this for a starter kit.

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog

I sort of works but is scary. ;)
I still can't play dvd movies in Totem.

SJ

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 03:31 AM
Wait so if I have a x86_64 setup I can not run wmv? Is that what ur telling me?

I looked through the other posts but since I am running x86_64 I guess thats my problem?

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 03:35 AM
See the yum, xine, extra codecs, totem-xine, and mplayer sections of Fedora Core 5 Installation Notes (http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html).

I love ur site I already used it to install everything thats why I am so confused, but the _x86_64 makes it clear I guess.

Anyway I could convice you to add a few help listings like Wireless with ndiswrapper, how to compile programs like iphers zsnes, how to edit and turn off feature for laptops such as touch pad tapping and scrolling? LOL Worth a shot, love ur page though it has helpped me more then I can tell u, excellent!

----
On ur post about viewing 32bit in 64 with firefox, I installed 32bit firefox but I am trying to view the programs in just xine, totem, etc. I have them on my HD I keep a huge collection of music videos and videos of anime that I use to make music videos. I have yet to find a program to edit video like Adobe Premere and my personal Fav Sony Vegas Video as I did with windows but I am sure I will when I start looking.

Thetargos
22nd May 2006, 03:40 AM
Wait so if I have a x86_64 setup I can not run wmv? Is that what ur telling me?

I looked through the other posts but since I am running x86_64 I guess thats my problem?
In short, yes.

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 03:43 AM
Dangit.... so there is no work around... why can't anything just work for me....

So can I switch to FC5 i586 without losing ll my home files?

I do not mind reinstalling all programs... but installing all the files again is not the funnest thing.

Thetargos
22nd May 2006, 03:49 AM
Well, no conventional workaround exists, howerver you could try installing the 32-bit version of mplayer/xine (if static, the better, as that would mean less deps) and try with those, I was able to play *some* wmv files with the 32-bit version of mplayer (for slackware)

Or you can simply install the i686 version of Fedora. As long as you kept your /home directory as a separate partition, you should have no problems just pointing it to the /home mountpoint at installation.

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 03:57 AM
No I just used one partition so I guess I have to reinstall everything yet again... dangit there goes 29gigs of info to reinstall.

Alright I will beginning DL the DVD iso for i686... hope I can figure out how to burn a dvd never tried before lol

Thetargos
22nd May 2006, 03:59 AM
If you have ever burned with K3B a CD ISO, it is just the same. You can double click it too (if you have gnome-cdwriter, for instance, and if you run GNOME, of course)

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 04:22 AM
k3b is normally what i use. i am currently trying to get my bit torrent dl going for the dvd.. just waiting for it to dl.

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 05:13 AM
Noticed that some asf files play just not the windows media 9 files. Still a x86_64 issue?

Thetargos
22nd May 2006, 07:12 AM
Noticed that some asf files play just not the windows media 9 files. Still a x86_64 issue?
Not sure, that was what some developer told me (which sounded consistent), I have not tried to play any asf files recently (read: since I got my A64). I don't know if it is then a lack of codecs or a problem due to bit size. However, I DO know that the same Windows codecs work on an i386 installation (.wmv 9 files) and do not work in x86_64.

CrossGT-6
22nd May 2006, 06:43 PM
Well I just finshed DLing, and installing iFC5 i386. I am updating and installing files now. Thanks for the info on this hopefully my last post will be to say it works great now... first I need to turn off tap and the back and forward commands on my touch pad again though... they are driving me nuts.

Thetargos
23rd May 2006, 02:01 AM
Well I just finshed DLing, and installing iFC5 i386. I am updating and installing files now. Thanks for the info on this hopefully my last post will be to say it works great now... first I need to turn off tap and the back and forward commands on my touch pad again though... they are driving me nuts.
Indeed, those do... I happen to have forgotten how to do that, so if you coul please post back how to disable those, I'd be thankful :D

CrossGT-6
23rd May 2006, 06:20 AM
NP I know u can actually do it through the web browser. I tried gsynaptics but it gives me an error when I try to launch it I will make a thread on it.

U would not happen to know the answer to this video related question, I installed real player and now on videos the audio is copped up and hardly plays with the video.

This is how you turn off tapping:

I tried the term and gedit but it did not work so I did it this way;
Open /etc/X11 and copy the Xorg.conf file. paste it where ever u like I have a folder in my home folder thats just for linux install stuff etc so I put it there.

Then open it in the GUI, edit the input after the one that reads Mouse 0, it will say Synaptics, etc.

Put this before the End Session:
Option "MaxTapTime" "0"

That turns off tapping. On the scrolling I know how but I pref the browser method so let me track that way down. Plus with tapping off I don't mind the scrolling option so much.

Thetargos
23rd May 2006, 07:30 AM
NP I know u can actually do it through the web browser. I tried gsynaptics but it gives me an error when I try to launch it I will make a thread on it.

U would not happen to know the answer to this video related question, I installed real player and now on videos the audio is copped up and hardly plays with the video.
Actually I do know it has to do with the settings of the player. In my case it had to do with two things: First XV accel or X11 xshm (play with both) and second, even though I have enough bandwidth some vidieos (300kps) refused to play nice with RP even on a 1mbit connection (audio plays, no video starts, then stops playing), so I had to check the connection settings. I had to also play with cache values and whatnot, in the end I got it working just fine, but it took me a while of tweaking.

This is how you turn off tapping:

I tried the term and gedit but it did not work so I did it this way;
Open /etc/X11 and copy the Xorg.conf file. paste it where ever u like I have a folder in my home folder thats just for linux install stuff etc so I put it there.

Then open it in the GUI, edit the input after the one that reads Mouse 0, it will say Synaptics, etc.

Put this before the End Session:
Option "MaxTapTime" "0"

That turns off tapping. On the scrolling I know how but I pref the browser method so let me track that way down. Plus with tapping off I don't mind the scrolling option so much.
Thanks a ton for this information... I think I will only disable the about:config part, as I do actually use quite a bit pad tapping. Thanks anyway, as I know some folks that will love to have this info!

rhb100
26th May 2006, 08:02 PM
Ok I installed the all codecs pack but I still can not play wmv files.

I changed the name to avi and asf and I can hear them but I can not see them. I was sure there was a solution to this but I have found nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I played with the w32codec rpm I believe and installed it I have installed a lot today trying to get GYACH-E working and gave up.

So a little help is greatly appriciated.

---Update I found that windows media 9 is what I can not play, everything else seems ok... some asf plays just not all... so is it still a x86_64 issue or is it something else?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How Do You Install the All Codecs Pack?
Is it a download or data on the Fedora Core 5 DVD? If a dwonload, then where do you find it? How is it installed as an RPM or yum? I am getting a message from Totem Movie Player that I do Not have the required codec installed.

Thetargos
26th May 2006, 09:28 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How Do You Install the All Codecs Pack?
Is it a download or data on the Fedora Core 5 DVD? If a dwonload, then where do you find it? How is it installed as an RPM or yum? I am getting a message from Totem Movie Player that I do Not have the required codec installed.
Just google for the w32codec package. You can get it from a number of sites DAG, ATRPMs, etc. My recommendation would be to install it with rpm -ivh --test w32codec*rpm before you actually install it, as that will tell you of any required dependencies, etc.

rhb100
27th May 2006, 12:02 AM
Thank you for your response, Thetargos. I used the command shown below and got the response indicated.
[root@linux_fc5 ~]# rpm -ivh --test w32codec-1.0_20050412-12.at.i386.rpm
warning: w32codec-1.0_20050412-12.at.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, k ey ID 66534c2b
error: Failed dependencies:
libstdc++.so.5 is needed by w32codec-1.0_20050412-12.at.i386
libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2) is needed by w32codec-1.0_20050412-12.at.i386
libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by w32codec-1.0_20050412-12.at.i38 6
I performed a find and found that I have libstdc++.so.6 but not libstdc++.so.5 as shown below.
find / -name 'libstdc*' -print
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
Do you have additional suggestions?

Thetargos
27th May 2006, 12:06 AM
Please check for the [backwards] compatibility package with:

yum search compat-libstdc++

You should see something like this compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5, if so, go ahead and install it (if you still are your regular user in the console, become the super user, and then):

yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5

After that you will be able to install the w32codec rpm you downloaded.

psyklops
27th May 2006, 12:23 AM
i'm running FC5 x86_64 (64 bit edition). I just installed 32-bit firefox, 32-bit mplayer, 32-bit plugins and the codecs as per Stanton Finley's site (great site btw! :) ) and I've not had issues with any media content... yet...

rhb100
27th May 2006, 12:49 AM
Thank you Thetargos. Below is the command I ran as root and the response. I am not sure how this yum search works, but I was surprised to see that it was adding and deleting packages. But it looks like the bottom lne is "No Matches found"
I again thank you for your help and I hope you have further suggestions.
[root@linux_fc5 ~]# yum search compat-libstdc++
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
core [1/3]
core 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
extras [2/3]
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates [3/3]
updates 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 1.2 MB 00:13