PDA

View Full Version : Java Firefox need I say more...

homunculus
22nd May 2006, 01:41 AM
I am trying to install the java plugin for firefox. I have downloaded the self extracting file from the Sun website and have been following the instructions on Stanton Finley's site however when I go to the Sun site to verify that java is installed it prompts me to install the missing plugin. I looked in the 2 plugin folders (Mozilla and Firefox) and the link in both says that it's broken. I assume that means I typed something wrong installing Java. I tried to install it again but I noticed that the completion message says file exists. How can I delete the symbolic links? :(

Invader02
22nd May 2006, 01:48 AM
rm = remove

nuff said

homunculus
22nd May 2006, 02:00 AM
Thank you. I was thinking del, DOS being the last time I used a command line and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

smfinley
22nd May 2006, 02:05 AM
If you're running 64 bit Fedora Core on your Athlon 64 and have the 64 bit version of Firefox this won't work. You will have to install the 32 bit version of Firefox. Download and install the 32 bit version of Firefox for Linux from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/, extract it into your home directory (or elsewhere), install the 32 bit Sun Java as described at http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html and symlink the java plugin to /home/your_user_name/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so, install the 32 bit versions of Flash, RealPlayer, Mplayerplug-in and Adobe Reader also described at http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html and copy their plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to /home/your_user_name/firefox/plugins, and then right click on the browser link in the panel and change its properties from "htmlview %u" to "/home/your_user_name/firefox/firefox".

homunculus
22nd May 2006, 02:18 AM
Thank you as well sir. It appears that it was in fact my inability to discern the difference between lowercase L and 1 that was my downfall. That and the fact that I should have known it was jre1 not jrel. Once again I am indebted to you all. Oh and by the way your directions ruled. If every site were so clear and detailed us newbies would hardly have to bother you.

jbannon
22nd May 2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah,
Seconded...Kudos on the web site, it's helped me out a lot. I have a couple of shortcuts that I use for the J2SE SDK which I use in preference to the Gnu offering.

Download the JDK
Download the documentation
(and anything else you can think of)
Extract them all to /opt
Rename the JDK directory to something more sensible (I use j2se).
Set-up the alternatives as per the web site.
Set-up /etc/profile.d/java/sh as per the web site (or java.csh if you're using the C shell).
Copy the java.sh to /opt/j2se
Make a tar distribution of /opt/j2se and save it somewhere for later re-use if you have to rebuild. I put it on my external Iomega zip drive in the file /media/disk/Dist/j2se.tar.bz2.
When setting up the symbolic links, use the tab key to complete the names - this saves typing and making mistakes.
For the ln command just type ln -s <name> and press the return key. It will use the default name which just happens to be the name of the target you are linking to. Again this saves typing and is less error-prone.