PDA

View Full Version : Dissapearing programs

ode
21st May 2006, 11:20 PM
I'm a linux newbie, but I'm sure you can see why this is stumping me. It seems randomly when I try to open a program (I'm on gnome on FC5) it will start and then dissapear. For example a "starting firefox" will pop up then dissapear. Or gaim will sign in, then vanish. I solved it a few times by logging out and back in, but now it seems I can't get back on gaim. Thanks in advance.

newfc2user
21st May 2006, 11:28 PM
They don't really disappear. The window manager metacity is just a dog. Sometimes, it just takes a loooooong time to display the program window. Almost every program (except evolution) eventually starts up after 2-3 MINUTES. Logging out and logging back in improves the window manager response. I think there is a bug in bugzilla for this.
Evolution is the exception for me. Most of the time, I open a terminal window and run 'evolution --force-shutdown' to stop it and restart it.

tomcat
21st May 2006, 11:29 PM
Did you update your system already (=apply bugfixes)? If yes, open a terminal and launch the applications from there (e.g. type "firefox"). When it bombs out, what error message do you get?

Effie04
21st May 2006, 11:47 PM
ode - have u changed fonts in your system or something like that?

i had such a problem on fedora core 4 when i clicked a program its said "starting..." and than nada..
i have solved it on that system by setting back the default fonts (because i changed the fonts to ms fonts)

so maybe its got do with the xfs or something...

newfc2user
22nd May 2006, 12:11 AM
Hmm..Effie04, you may be on to something. I also have msfonts installed but they are not the default fonts for the session. Maybe those applications which start slowly may have msfonts as the default. I need to check that out the next time it happens.