PDA

View Full Version : Installing Nvidia drivers, selinux, init, etc

Kylotan
21st May 2006, 05:20 PM
I just tried to get hardware acceleration working for my NVidia card, using the instructions at this location: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia

Unfortunately, they just don't work. The yum install line worked, but setsebool does not - that command is nowhere to be seen. I tried to find a corresponding entry in the "system-config-securitylevel" application but couldn't find it. Not only that, but init doesn't work - that command is missing too. What the hell is going on for there to be no 'init'? Yes, I am logged in as root.

Unfortunately I now have my desktop running at an uncomfortable 60hz because the new driver won't give me 85hz. I had 85hz at this resolution before running "yum install kmod-nvidia" and restarting X and it was just fine. Needless to say I am not very happy about this at all.

Anybody got any hints on how I can get these commands to work, how I can get OpenGL accelerated properly, and how I can get my 85hz refresh rate back?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it's several problems in one and I don't know where to start.

I'm on FC5, with what I believe are all the latest updates installed. (2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 #1 Thu May 4 21:16:58 EDT 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux)

mordoc
21st May 2006, 05:54 PM
First things first...

I found setsebool here on my install: /usr/sbin/setsebool
Second, what type of Nvidia card is it? If it is a "legacy" card, it is a bit involved...

I just tried to get hardware acceleration working for my NVidia card, using the instructions at this location: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia

Unfortunately, they just don't work. The yum install line worked, but setsebool does not - that command is nowhere to be seen. I tried to find a corresponding entry in the "system-config-securitylevel" application but couldn't find it. Not only that, but init doesn't work - that command is missing too. What the hell is going on for there to be no 'init'? Yes, I am logged in as root.

Unfortunately I now have my desktop running at an uncomfortable 60hz because the new driver won't give me 85hz. I had 85hz at this resolution before running "yum install kmod-nvidia" and restarting X and it was just fine. Needless to say I am not very happy about this at all.

Anybody got any hints on how I can get these commands to work, how I can get OpenGL accelerated properly, and how I can get my 85hz refresh rate back?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it's several problems in one and I don't know where to start.

I'm on FC5, with what I believe are all the latest updates installed. (2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 #1 Thu May 4 21:16:58 EDT 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux)

Kylotan
21st May 2006, 06:04 PM
Ok, setsebool is there, and init, thanks. I'll give the instructions a go from here. Any idea why /usr/sbin is not in my path?

My nvidia card is a new 6600GT. I hope that doesn't qualify as 'legacy' yet!

EDIT: Ok, I think the acceleration is working now, if TuxRacer at 240fps is anything to go by. Now just to fix this refresh rate problem.

Kylotan
21st May 2006, 06:49 PM
Ok, I think I fixed the refresh rate. For the benefit of anybody else coming across this in a search, this involved doing the following as root:
1) Finding "1280x960" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changing that to "1280x960_85.00"
2) Using "gtf 1280 960 85" to get the lines to paste into the "Monitor" section.
Then a reboot and it's fine.

markkuk
21st May 2006, 07:46 PM
Ok, setsebool is there, and init, thanks. I'll give the instructions a go from here. Any idea why /usr/sbin is not in my path?

You used just "su" instead of "su -" to switch to root.
http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#root

mordoc
24th May 2006, 04:32 AM
markkuk is right on the money with this...the "-" switch gives you the same path as root would have if logged in from the login prompt. I have been using *nix for awhile and didn't know that myself until last week...