PDA

View Full Version : Newb question: Start up

Chiemel
21st May 2006, 03:11 PM
Hi,

I just installed linux, fedora, for the first time, and this is my first real contact with linux. I installed it on a new partition next to my windows partition. Now everytime I start my computer, I get the fedora screen asking me to press a button if I want to start another partition, then fedora's one.

Can I set it so that windows is the standard system? The other users of this computer know even less then me, and I doubt they would find out how to start windows.

Thanks in advance.

steve1961
21st May 2006, 03:17 PM
Hi,

I just installed linux, fedora, for the first time, and this is my first real contact with linux. I installed it on a new partition next to my windows partition. Now everytime I start my computer, I get the fedora screen asking me to press a button if I want to start another partition, then fedora's one.

Can I set it so that windows is the standard system? The other users of this computer know even less then me, and I doubt they would find out how to start windows.

Thanks in advance.

the easiest way is to install system-config-boot. This gives you a gui (Desktop>Administration>Bootloader) and you can choose the default OS to boot into.

dishawjp
21st May 2006, 03:22 PM
The other way would be to edit your /etc/grub.conf file. In that file there is a line something like:
default=0
I'm not on a Fedora machine now and SUSE does it a bit differently, but 0 would be the first option, 1 the second and so on. The file is plain ascii text and easily editable, but I would recommend making a backup before changing it.

Chiemel
21st May 2006, 03:28 PM
Yea I noticed the grub config file a little later. I installed the system tools, and then I just edited that conf file :D

Thanks both of you!