PDA

View Full Version : Evolution doesn't approve of my email address?

schwim
21st May 2006, 12:09 AM
Hi there guys,

This happened to me with my FC3 install, and is happening again with my FC5 install. Here's my problem.

I have 5 email addresses that I monitor. They are:

schwim@
json@
this-address-for-spam@
iam@
support@

All of my email addresses except for support@ work fine. However, when I try to check my support@ email address, it says that it checks, and that no mail was found. When I go to my other computer and check the same accounts, I usually find that I have mail building up on the support@ mail account.

I would consider it a fluke if it only happened on one computer, but two seperate installs of FC lead me to believe that I've stumbled across some kind of protection thing or something of the sort? All other emails check and send fine on my FC install. It's just the support email address that I have problems with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
json

JEO
21st May 2006, 05:34 AM
What operating system and mail software are you using on the computer that works with support@?

schwim
21st May 2006, 05:54 AM
Computer 1: Win XP home/Poco mail, OE, Pegasus all work
Computer 2: Win XP Pro/OE
Computer 3: FC5/Evolution does not work

As a clarification, the other email addresses, all originating from the same server, and two of which use the same domain, work fine in Evolution. Just the support address gives me problems.

thanks,
json

pete_1967
21st May 2006, 06:21 AM
Does your mail server require authentication (or doesn't), check the account settings and that authentication is set correctly.

schwim
21st May 2006, 06:24 AM
Hi there,

The mail server does require authentication, and all accounts in Evolution are set to the same prefs on checking and sending. I can check all accounts, and although support doesn't fail, I don't get my mail in that account only. I can send mail through that account successfully however.

thanks,
json

schwim
21st May 2006, 03:09 PM
Hi guys,

After some testing, I find that it's not Evolution, but Fedora:

I set up Thunderbird, and the exact same thing happens. I get my test mail on all accounts but support, and when I walk over to my Win box & check mail, the test mail to the support address are waiting for me.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Instead of shrinking, my list of reasons I need my Windows machine is actually growing.

thanks,
json

JEO
22nd May 2006, 09:25 AM
Both mail applications could be calling the spamassassin package - I know that evolution does..

In Evolution under edit menu, preferences, mail preferences, junk tab there is a box you can uncheck that says check incoming mail for junk.

Also look in the Junk folder and maybe in the Search Folders at the bottom Unmatched and Unread mail(local) folders.

schwim
22nd May 2006, 01:31 PM
Hi there and thanks for the reply,

I disabled the junk mail feature, and checked the account, no mail was to be found. I also checked all of the folders available to me, but no luck.

The fact that I'm still writing in this thread probably means I don't need to tell you what happened when I checked it on my Windows box :D

thanks,
json

bob
22nd May 2006, 02:04 PM
If you've had the same thing happen on two versions of FC and certainly more than two versions of Evolution and you've checked your settings, I'd suggest filing a bugzilla here: http://bugzilla.ximian.com/ I did a quick check and couldn't find any similar bugs. Of course, there's always kmail, Tbird or another mail option for that one mail account in FC until you work through this glitch.

schwim
22nd May 2006, 11:31 PM
Hi there Bob, and thanks for the reply,

I don't know if that will do any good. As I mentioned earlier, I tried Thunderbird, and got the same result. Knowing this, should I still post in the bug tracker?

thanks,
json

bob
23rd May 2006, 12:06 AM
OOPS! Sorry, missed that post. Do you have SELinux enabled? Maybe odd settings there. No, if it's not Evolution-specific, there's no sense going to their Bugzilla, although you might try the Bugzilla for RedHat/Fedora instead.

schwim
23rd May 2006, 12:14 AM
Hi Bob,

I disabled SELinux on install.

thanks,
json

schwim
24th May 2006, 03:14 AM
Hi Bob,

Is this where I would submit the bug? https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

It astounds me that nobody would have noticed this up till now. There has to be another reason that this is happening, I would think.

Do you know of a way to log actions in Evolution, or any other step in the mail check process to find out what's going on? It says that it checks ok, but something's got to be going wrong for it not to get the mail.

thanks,
json

bob
24th May 2006, 03:24 AM
Yes, that's the right one. Got to be honest, I use Tbird almost all the time and only keep a spam addy on Evolution. That said, I really doubt that Evolution is the core of the problem, since the addy also fails in Tbird. I know of nothing that limits the number of email accounts you can work with and you surely haven't done anything to set limits yourself. I'd have pinned it on your ISP as being restrictive except for the fact that all of them work in Windows, so they must be passing those messages through. I doubt it's a port problem, but you could always make sure that account is using the same ones as the others.

Perhaps someone else has some ideas and will chip in the right answer, but my money is on the Bugzilla boys.

schwim
24th May 2006, 03:45 AM
Hi there Bob, and sorry to bother you again,

I created an account, and started posting the report, but got to thinking, how do I classify this? Do I just pick Evolution as the product and tell them that it also applies to Thunderbird? I don't see a way to not choose a particular application.

thanks,
json

bob
24th May 2006, 03:54 AM
Sure, might as well. They'll reassign it as they want it anyway.

schwim
24th May 2006, 04:04 AM
I went ahead and posted it.

In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very happy to hear them.

thanks,
json

schwim
1st June 2006, 02:46 AM
for the sake of completion, I thought I'd let anyone who found this thread know that I never solved the problem. I turned the email address into a forward, and forwarded it to another account on the same domain, switched "support@" to "me@" in evolution, didn't change anything else, and now receive my mail just dandy.

thanks,
json

bob
1st June 2006, 03:25 AM
Very clever solution to a maddening problem. As you know, there seemed to be no logical, obvious reason for the problem and we will probably never understand what happened. Congrats to working through it though.

schwim
1st June 2006, 03:48 AM
well, all I can say is it stumped me... You're right. I'll probably never know why it happened, but I can promise you, I'll try it after every FC update ;)

On an unrelated note, Evo's junk mail filter is awesome! Even without remote filtering, I never see the crap that used to fill up my box on the Win machine, and I was using Poco's filters and a third party system.

God bless the anti-junkmail programmer!

thanks,
json