PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me With FC 5

serdal
20th May 2006, 10:15 PM
Hello, I am Serdal. I had been using windows since 2000 and it is time for me to immigrate to this great system, Linux, since I am tired of those endless viruses :mad: . I had heard about Linux in mid 90's but unfortunately I never had opportunity nor time to experience and enjoy this unique OS. Nowadays I began searching for a good alternative which is stable, rich, and free of viruses which is my biggest problem. All of my searches leaded me to Linux :) . Then I decided to start using this nice system.

I used Mandrake Linux 10.1 (DVD) , Ubuntu Linux 5 (CD) , and now I have installed Fedora Core 5 (DVD) to my PC. I liked and found Fedora Core 5 easier than others. So, I am a NEWFIE I must say. I would like to mention to you about my system: PC, AMD Sempron (tm) 2800, 2 GHz CPU, 736 MB SD-RAM Memory, LG DVD+RW, LG CD-RW, Floppy Drive, 80 GB Hard Drive, Lexmark X1150 All-in-one printer/scanner/copier.

These are the difficulties I am experiencing with Linux :( :
1- I download Yahoo messenger (I choose Red Hat 9???) and then I can not install/run it.
2- I download Hotmail messenger and I can not install/run it.
3- I can not run any of my softwares from CD.
4- I can not print anything.
5- I can not view my floppy disk.
6- I can not view my memory stick. (Excalibur – 64 MB)
7- I can not watch nor back-up (copy) my DVD movies. I have not tried VCD yet.
8- I tried to play an avi movie but the message said “ Totem could not play file '.....' “ One time, it said “You don't have decoder to handle this”. Then I continued with some other avi movies and it played two of them, but there was sound only but not picture.
9- I tried to play an mp3 song but the message said “The player does not have the capabilities to play back this content”. If I am not mistaken, this is Helix player.
10- I double clicking on my softwares' icons (such as one click dvd copier etc...) but a message pops up and says “Couldn't display “/media/...../...../1click dvd copy 2 3.exe”.

Unfortunately I know NOTHING about the terms and words those are used in Linux, and i am not quite familiar and new to this system. I don't even know how to start the system in root mode.

I will be grateful if you could help me about the troubles mentioned above that I have been experienceing. Thanks in advance, have a great weekend.

Serdal
Vancouver

markkuk
20th May 2006, 11:39 PM
1- I download Yahoo messenger (I choose Red Hat 9???) and then I can not install/run it.
Fedora includes the Gaim (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/) instant messaging client that supports both Yahoo and MSN.

The packages on Fedora CDs must be installed before you can run them.

Unfortunately, Lexmark doesn't support Linux very well. Hardware support requires co-operation from hardware manufacturers, and Lexmark doesn't appear to be interested in their Linux-using customers.

What have you tried and what are the results?

8- I tried to play an avi movie but the message said “ Totem could not play file '.....'
9- I tried to play an mp3 song but the message said “The player does not have the capabilities to play back this content”.
DVDs, MP3 files and most AVIs use proprietary, patented codec software that can't be included in Fedora (http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems). You must install the necessary software from third-party repositories. See the Fedora FAQ (http://www.fedorafaq.org/) and Stanton Finley's notes (http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html) for instructions.

10- I double clicking on my softwares' icons (such as one click dvd copier etc...) but a message pops up and says “Couldn't display “/media/...../...../1click dvd copy 2 3.exe”.
.exe files are Windows programs. They don't normally work in Linux. You can try using emulation software like Wine, but generally if you must run Windows software it's better to use Windows for that.

I don't even know how to start the system in root mode.
See the Fedora Basics FAQ (http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/)

tomcat
20th May 2006, 11:53 PM
These are the difficulties I am experiencing with Linux :( :
8- I tried to play an avi movie but the message said “ Totem could not play file '.....' “ One time, it said “You don't have decoder to handle this”. Then I continued with some other avi movies and it played two of them, but there was sound only but not picture.
9- I tried to play an mp3 song but the message said “The player does not have the capabilities to play back this content”. If I am not mistaken, this is Helix player.

First of all, read the Fedora FAQ http://www.fedorafaq.org/ . It will explain quite some things for you. I will give you some answers to your questions, but not all at once (way too much to handle in one thread).

You can use Gaim for messanging. No need to download the yahoo messenger, as Gaim can handle many messanging protocols.

When you download packages, and want to install them, there are three ways: One is using yum, the inbuilt software installer (as root, run from a terminal "yum install packagename" or use PIRUT, the software manager that is integrated in the menus). The second way is to download a rpm file. That one will be installed e.g. from a terminal, running "rpm -Uhv packagename" as root. The third option is using sourceballs (tar.gz). Those need to be compiled in the terminal in three steps before they work.

/.configure (perhaps with a prefix (--prefix=/usr))
make
make install (as root)

Usually, everything important is available with yum/PIRUT.

If you cannot print anything, several questions arise: Did you set up your printer? Did you set it up properly? Is it supported in linux (not every printer is compatible)?

And one thing: Windows software (= software with .exe suffix) will not work in linux. Some software can be run using an emulator but many things are completely incompatible with linux. Keep in mind that linux is a totally different (!!!) operating system. Same if you use e.g. a Mac: Windows .exe files won't run there either.

Your Memory stick: Is it formatted as NTFS or vfat32?

edit: oh.. I have been typing too slow. :D