PDA

View Full Version : Something strange with Fedora Core 5

regret
20th May 2006, 08:12 PM
A weird thing as just started occuring with my Fedora Core 5 distro using Gnome. Once logged in, I click any application (including my terminal) and the program shows to be "Starting Terminal" for a few seconds, then just disappears...it's the same thing with every other application. Any ideas on what is causing this?

jbannon
21st May 2006, 12:52 AM
Can you get a terminal up and running? If so, try tying the command in the terminal and see if you get any output on stderr.

Dman! Silly me, you can't do that. Can you get into the failsafe seesion?

regret
21st May 2006, 01:33 AM
i'm very new to linux, trying to make the switch from windows...some even stranger I just tried after posting the issue. If I log out and log back in as root, I don't seem to have this problem. I may just not be seeing the problem as root, but sometimes my regular user account works just fine without problems. Everytime today I've tried it on my regular account I've been experiencing the issue.

jbannon
21st May 2006, 02:56 AM
OK. Try logging in as root and backing up the data in your home directory. Then delete your home directory and the old account and create a new one.

Iron_Mike
21st May 2006, 04:16 AM
OK. Try logging in as root and backing up the data in your home directory. Then delete your home directory and the old account and create a new one.

Don't do that, first boot to init 1, when the prompt comes up issue

# umount /boot
# umount /

then issue

# fsck -f -p

This unmounts your boot and root partition and then run file check on the partiition and could possibly correct the error rather than reinstalling...

jbannon
21st May 2006, 10:06 AM
Iron_Mike,
Good point. I've been trying to find out how to get the machine to start up in init 1 for ages. How do you do that? In the old days it just used to be 'b -s' at the boot prompt but I can't figure it out for these 'new fangled' things (showing my age here).

jbannon
21st May 2006, 12:26 PM
Iron_Mike,
OK found it on the Red Hat knowledge base.

regret
21st May 2006, 11:26 PM
Wow, I actually figured it out...really strange though. While logged in as root, everything is fine. When playing around in my users/groups settings, I found that for some reason my username was not checked in the users group or in the group under my own name. After that, no more problems. I just wonder why that had changed? The only thing I've done in root since installation was installed the drivers for my wifi card.