PDA

View Full Version : GNUChess & Xboard

sleight
20th May 2006, 03:09 AM
I recently installed GNUChess and Xboard, but when I try to start it up from the applications bar, it errors saying "gnuchessx is not a valid application", and when I try to run xboard from the terminal, it gives the same response. But, when I try to run gnuchess in the terminal, it runs perfectly...in text mode. Is there a way I can fix this, or get a new GUI for GNUChess?

Thank you and God Bless, Sleight

P.S. I have tried yum reinstalling it...

tashirosgt
20th May 2006, 06:31 AM
Which are you trying to start from the applications bar, GnuChess or Xboard? I think you must configure Xboard to use GnuChess as one of its "engines". As I recall, there is a resource file you edit where you put in the name and path to the chess engines that Xboard will use. Then you start Xboard as the application. (An the last time I compared them Crafty was a much stronger program than GnuChess. It also requires more configuration to get it to use its opening book.)

sleight
20th May 2006, 03:59 PM
ok, thanks, I'll try it out. By the way, for Crafty, does it let you met a gradient for the AI's intelligence?
Essentially, I'm asking if it starts out strong, or can you set it abilities (I want to become better, not constantly get beaten.) Thanks again,

Sleight

tashirosgt
20th May 2006, 04:11 PM
I don't think Crafty can be set to take it easy on you. But you can configure Xboard to allow to to choose from among several chess engines.

sleight
20th May 2006, 11:37 PM
thanks, I'll install it!