PDA

View Full Version : Telnet

gpswx4cster
20th May 2006, 01:09 AM
Group:

I am very NEW to Fedora Core 5 and it's procedures. Can somone direct me on how to turn on Telnet services and FTP services within Fedora Core 5? I have the firewall off and have edit the /etc/xinetd.d to "on". I also did a "yum" update, but I am still unable to acess the machine. Please any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

pparks1
20th May 2006, 01:29 AM
First of all, you shouldn't use Telnet. It's extremely insecure. Your box comes with SSH by default which is a far better way to connect remotely. You can ssh in from any linuxhost with

ssh user@servername

If you are going to remotely connect from a windows host, do a quick google search for putty. That is a free ssh client for Windows. It's very easy to use and connect remotely.

As far as ftp goes, check out this link
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#FTP

ccrvic
20th May 2006, 10:57 AM
Can somone direct me on how to turn on Telnet services

Don't.

and FTP services

Think *very* carefully before you do.

I have the firewall off

Don't do that.

Telnet and FTP both use unencrypted traffic - that means that all your passwords are transmitted in clear text. Anyone sniffing your traffic will be able to read your passwords and anything else that is transmitted up the line.

SSH is a vastly superior way of logging in to your box. I'd go so far as to say that you should remove the telnet-server package; SSH does everything you could want from telnet, and more. And it does it securely.

Note that if you run either telnet or SSH, you should think about how to protect yourself against dictionary attack; there are bots scouring the web for crackable login sessions. One of my servers used to take ~6000 attacks per day (until I found a way to throttle them with iptables).

For FTP - if you really need it, use SFTP instead. Having said that, I prefer to use rsync...

Vic.