PDA

View Full Version : parted

bsoderror
20th February 2004, 03:51 AM
I need to resize and make a couple new partitions on an existing Fedora drive. Parted seems to need to know alot that I don't know. Is there a GUI disk partitioner that works well. I don't want to mess up what I have done so far. Thanx for any help!

DaDevil
20th February 2004, 07:35 AM
How about qtparted ?

http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

You did ask for a GUI tool :D. As to what works well this works for me. It is just a frontend for parted itself based on libparted. Now whether it works for you Best of Luck :D.

mhelios
20th February 2004, 10:06 AM
You may find, as I did, that resizing ext3 partitions with parted is broken (says it can't support them) in recent versions. And I'm not sure why, as parted supports ext3 resizing..
QTParted is a nice Partition Manager-clone front end though. I hope you have better luck than I did.

I'll have to test this in FC2 test1.

bsoderror
20th February 2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by mhelios
You may find, as I did, that resizing ext3 partitions with parted is broken (says it can't support them) in recent versions. And I'm not sure why, as parted supports ext3 resizing..
QTParted is a nice Partition Manager-clone front end though. I hope you have better luck than I did.

I'll have to test this in FC2 test1.

Thanx mhelios and DaDevil for your help. I installed QTParted and like it. I couldn't get "resize" to highlight so it wouldn't do what I wanted, I have a winxp util that may work and it boots from a cd so no OS is needed. Sure don't want to lose what I've got done in Fedora but I need to make at least one partition on that drive. I should have done it before my initial install but didn't think I'd need it ......heh heh, yeah right!

:eek: