PDA

View Full Version : Odd Error compiling MadWfi

MrVitale
18th May 2006, 05:05 PM
Hey there.
Runnig FC5 w/ KDE everything is up to date as far as updates are concerned.

I am tryong to compile Madwifi with WPA support to get my pci wireless card to work at home.

When i first try to compile MadWifi i follow their instrcutions, and when i type make @ the directory, i get this error

[root@localhost madwifi-ng]# make
/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5/build: No such file or directory
Makefile.inc:95: *** /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.

So i followed that path,

and find build in the 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 directoy to have an orange question mark and when i clicked on it said

Error: file:///lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5/build does not seem to exist anymore

I could really use some help guys.

Thanks in advance
-----Alex-----

jbannon
18th May 2006, 05:56 PM
It's probably looking for the kernel sources. Have you downloaded them?

MrVitale
18th May 2006, 09:21 PM
I am not sure what you are refering to.. so i most likely didn't

how would i download it?

Thanks

jbannon
18th May 2006, 09:30 PM
It's in section 8.6 of the release notes where it also tells you how to build modules from source. I presume this is what you're trying to do with the wireless driver. Oh, and you should never build kernel sources as root, it'snot needed for the build phase only the installation of the module.

MrVitale
18th May 2006, 11:39 PM
thanks jbnnon

I tried what u said but ran into trouble downloading it. It would downl load kernel-2.6.16-1.2096_FC5.i686.rpm (my version i am running under is 2.6.16-1.2111)

and then when i do step 3, and

run it i get

alex@localhost boot]$ rpm -Uvh kernel-2.3.16-2096_FC5.src.rpm`
>
>
>
>
>

Am i doing something wrong

jbannon
18th May 2006, 11:57 PM
You should be able to get the latest kernel source by adjusting the name. When you run rpm to actually install the source to the correct place you need to be root. Once you've done that you can then build your module as an ordinary user and then install it as root. Sorry if I caused any confusion. Build instructions should also come with the module you're trying to install. If they don't then I would proceed with extreme caution.

MrVitale
19th May 2006, 04:58 AM
jbannon i would like to thank you for your timely responses, you were a big help.

I figured out all i needed where the Kernel header files.

So i got those with
#yum kernel-devel

thanks agian

--Alex--

cruiseoveride
19th May 2006, 05:03 AM
get the rpms from atrpms, they work well, im using them.

jbannon
19th May 2006, 11:43 AM
jbannon i would like to thank you for your timely responses, you were a big help.

I figured out all i needed where the Kernel header files.

So i got those with
#yum kernel-devel

thanks agian

--Alex--

Hey, no problem. I don't really know if I helped that much but whatever. We get the software for free so it's good grace to contribute back whatever we can.