PDA

View Full Version : Can't spell

mike_bike_kite
17th May 2006, 03:47 PM
Just installed FC5 on my PC - all working well but it appears it can't spell :)

[robinm@localhost jobs]$ echo colour | spell -b
colour

I thought this would check for the English spelling of the word but it tells me that colour is spelt wrong.
Any ideas ?

How can I install and use other languages with spell (or another command line tool)?

Mike

sentry
17th May 2006, 03:52 PM
It's spelled right if you're American not if your a Brit or a Canuk

mike_bike_kite
17th May 2006, 04:55 PM
I understand that out in the colonies you have all sorts of simpler spellings ;)
I was just curious why the FC5 spell command allows the -b option but then still uses US spellings.
It seems a little odd over here in the homeland.

Mike

bob
17th May 2006, 05:03 PM
Let's see...Red Hat is based where??? Unfortunately, you'll have to change your language to conform to The Way Things Should Be. Also, would you mind getting rid of that metric system? I realize we're the only ones using the alternative but I don't want to risk getting speeding tickets in Canada...

giulix
17th May 2006, 05:22 PM
Bob eating bait ? :eek:

bob
17th May 2006, 06:11 PM
Yep, guilty of trolling... plus I did have fish-sticks for lunch.

sentry
17th May 2006, 07:05 PM
The metric system will rule you all one day..

Mwhahaha

(Blame Canada)

((yes, I'm Canadian))

mike_bike_kite
17th May 2006, 07:54 PM
In unix systems I've used in the past you could always use "spell -b" for english and "spell" for american - does that mean it was taken out for FC5? During the set up was shown a map and I picked London England and I choose all the other english options that I was given (at least I thought I did).

I was hoping to use the spell tool with other languages at the same time going forwards (perhaps Canadian and Australian:)). Can I just load in a french dictionary and pick it via an option? are there other spell checkers I could use that might offer this functionality via the command line?

I need it all for an app I'm writing.

Mike