PDA

View Full Version : FC 5 Teething problems

sivashakti
15th May 2006, 01:13 PM
I have a couple of problems with my Fedora core 5 installation; or some reason, Fedora isnít at present able recognise the very piece of hardware that got it on to my hard drive in the first place, my CD drive. Checking out a book on Fedora Core 4 in my local library, I noticed that one change with Core 5 is that the option for installing further CD's has been removed from the configuration menu at the end of the installation; so I have at present no way off installing disks 3,4 and 5. Another reason that Fedora is of only limited use to me at present, is that there is no obvious way of installing the printer driver for Linux, I downloaded from my printer's web site, in the absence of my printer model being in the list to install a printer. You may have by now guessed that I'm a green Linux user, but a seasoned PC user. My PC is an AMD Sempron system, and has a Samsung SM 352 CD RW drive, an old Quantum Fireball IDE drive (Iím upgrading to a new IDE drive for Linux distros later in the year), a Seagate Barracuda SATA drive for Windows, and a Canon iP 1500 printer; hardly obscure kit is it.

Regards Sivashakti

jwolf
15th May 2006, 05:31 PM
If the option for installing off later CDs is gone, you could start the install process with "linux askmethod" and install over FTP or HTTP from a mirror. Perhaps that would give you the added flexibility you are looking for.

Richard1098
16th May 2006, 11:27 AM
I have a couple of problems with my Fedora core 5 installation; or some reason, Fedora isnít at present able recognise the very piece of hardware that got it on to my hard drive in the first place, my CD drive. Checking out a book on Fedora Core 4 in my local library, I noticed that one change with Core 5 is that the option for installing further CD's has been removed from the configuration menu at the end of the installation; so I have at present no way off installing disks 3,4 and 5.
Regards Sivashakti

You can install extra packages with Add/Romove software, as it will download packages from the Fedora and Fedora Extras sites.

When you say Fedora doesn't recognise your CD drive, what do you mean?

Another reason that Fedora is of only limited use to me at present, is that there is no obvious way of installing the printer driver for Linux, I downloaded from my printer's web site, in the absence of my printer model being in the list to install a printer.

Regards Sivashakti

Have you looked at these Canon driver guides:
http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/download.asp?ComponentID=312371&SourcePageID=312225#1

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/canon_print_filter_for_linuxs22415.asp?model=

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/installation.asp?ComponentID=312437&SourcePageID=312227#1

Generally HP provides excellent driver support for Linux (as good as Windows), while Epson do an OK job. You can't blame Linux if Canon don't make it easy to install their own drivers.

sivashakti
18th May 2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for that, I got disks 3,4 and 5 in by using an old LG Cdrom drive I use as a slave, my Samsung CDRW drive I have as the master drive, still is'nt bein detected though

Regards Sivashakti