PDA

View Full Version : Updating kernel - help please

brarko
14th May 2006, 08:23 AM
I have Fedora Core 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5 installed. I see that 2111 is now available. If I update through yum will I need to update other packages installed on my system. I have taken some time installing updates and rpm packages like madwifi, java, Adobe and lots of others. Whilst installing these items I see that they mostly refer to to the 2096 kernel and I am concerned that an update to the existing kernel will cause some problems and require updating all sorts of installed stuff.
I m happy to continue to use the cyrrent 2096 kernel but I am unsure if I really need to update the kernel each time an update is listed through yum

Any advice appreciated

brarko

Beaker01
14th May 2006, 10:37 AM
The only thing that I've come across that needs sorting out after a kernel update is ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/) , which I use for wireless network access. Because I compiled and installed it from source, this is just a case of going through the ndiswrapper installation procedure (something like 5 commands) when I've rebooted with the new kernel.

Andy

brarko
14th May 2006, 10:47 AM
The only thing that I've come across that needs sorting out after a kernel update is ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/) , which I use for wireless network access. Because I compiled and installed it from source, this is just a case of going through the ndiswrapper installation procedure (something like 5 commands) when I've rebooted with the new kernel.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I'll allow the update and see what happens. I have ndiswrapper installed for one of my wifi cards so I guess at worst I can unistall it and let yum take care of the dependencies on a fresh install.
How soon after the new kernel update can I delete the older kernel versions - I would keep 2096 for a while just to be sure I suppose.

cheers
brarko

Beaker01
14th May 2006, 11:02 AM
To tell you the truth, I just let yum deal with the issue of deleting kernels. I've gone through 3 kernel updates without any problems since installing FC5. Looking in /lib/modules, I have directories for all 4 kernels, but only the current and the previous contain anything except a "misc" directory. I'm guessing that yum clears out all older kernels except the one you are directly replacing. In my case, the only thing left in the older ones is ndiswrapper.ko. Presumably this doesn't get cleared out automatically as it's not part of the vanilla kernel.

Andy

brarko
14th May 2006, 01:43 PM
That's inteeresting - thanks for your input. I notice now, after updating to 2111, that 2096 is retained intact in /lib/modules. presumably this is so it is available should there be a problem with the latest update. The previous kernel is now the second option at grub boot menu. I will be interested to see if the outdated directory contents disappear from /lib/modules following the next update, and if the boot menu also adjusts the kernel to select at boot time.

In any event, it is reassuring to know that by using yum I am not doing anything dumb, as per your advice/experience.

thanks

brarko