PDA

View Full Version : BitTornado RPM Package?

spfdz
14th May 2006, 06:32 AM
Hi,

I was curious if anyone has a RPM package of bittornado for FC5? I searched PBONE and tried yum install bittornado-gui but no go.

I've tried azereus and bittorrent-gui but for some reason those give me slow speeds and azereus eats memory like crazy if I leave my PC idle.

I do have my ports forwarded correctly and everything, I've checked www.canyouseeme.com and everything turned out fine. When I was originally in windows, it worked fine. I just migrated to Linux and I'm having quite the hard time getting it to work right. I also disabled the firewall in FC5 and the SE setings.

Skunk Worx
14th May 2006, 06:50 AM
I looked at the "bit tornado" website and it appears to be a windows only application. I think you are looking for a bit torrent client that works with FC5.

My experience is that the command $ bittorrent pops up a gui and seems to work pretty well. When I'm not busy on the computer I move the slider (at the top of the GUI) to the right and increase the bandwidth available to the app.

BT has no problem saturating my DSL line.

$ rpm -qa | grep bittorrent
bittorrent-4.4.0-1.fc5
bittorrent-gui-4.4.0-1.fc5

spfdz
14th May 2006, 07:12 AM
Ughhhhhhh....

It has linux source packages here http://download2.bittornado.com/download/BitTornado-0.3.7.tar.gz I know it works in linux because you can apt-get it with Debian. (Assuming you make rpm packages from source)

Like I said in my opening post, I have tried "regular" bittorrent with the correct port forwarded. I switch it to full blast, but nothing seems to work. (No traffic at all.)

When I tried Azureus, sometimes it would work, but sometimes it wouldnt (when it should.) and also, leaving it for like 12 hours, I come back to see my memory usage is at 85% and it hasn't downloaded anything while I'm gone.

Skunk Worx
14th May 2006, 07:21 AM
Hey I'm sorry. I've used BT for so long and when I saw the windows exe's on the odwnload page I screwed up.

Skunk Worx
14th May 2006, 07:23 AM
Hey I'm sorry. I've used BT for so long and when I saw the windows exe's on the download page I screwed up. I could try deleting my message...there are some rpm's on pbone for other distros, it might work, or you could possibly build from source.

sorry about that.

BTW, I got it working, no problem. I downloaded the source tarball from bittornado:

BitTornado-0.3.15.tar.gz

...unpacked it, then "yum install"'ed wxPython.

Changed into BitTornado-CVS directory, ran "./btdownloadgui.py"

No problems at all if you just want to test it.

---
John

Skunk Worx
14th May 2006, 08:11 AM
anyway i'm using firestarter on my firewall with 6881-6889 allowed, and forwarded to my clients, if that helps.

BanditRider
14th May 2006, 12:45 PM
Azureus works fine for me. I often get > 700kB/s on well seeded files.

spfdz
14th May 2006, 02:38 PM
Hey I'm sorry. I've used BT for so long and when I saw the windows exe's on the download page I screwed up. I could try deleting my message...there are some rpm's on pbone for other distros, it might work, or you could possibly build from source.

sorry about that.

BTW, I got it working, no problem. I downloaded the source tarball from bittornado:

BitTornado-0.3.15.tar.gz

...unpacked it, then "yum install"'ed wxPython.

Changed into BitTornado-CVS directory, ran "./btdownloadgui.py"

No problems at all if you just want to test it.

---
John

So wait, when you installed wxpython, that wasn't part of teh tar folde rcorrecT? And when you run ./btdownloadgui.py, your not actually installing it? Just running from the director?

As for the last poster, like I said, I have hit 700 some times, but sometimes it doesn't do anything at all. And it eats memory like crazy.

Skunk Worx
14th May 2006, 03:12 PM
I did the following :

# yum -y install wxPython
$ cd /tmp
$ wget http://download2.bittornado.com/download/BitTornado-0.3.15.tar.gz
$ tar xvzf BitTornado-0.3.15.tar.gz
$ ./BitTornado-CVS/btdownloadgui.py

Pops up and runs. The only thing installed is wxPython, you can remove that after if you don't want it. bittornado is just running out of the directory, not installed.

---
John