PDA

View Full Version : telnet or xterm clients that work with OpenVMS

mykle
11th May 2006, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know of an telnet or txterm client (on linux) that can connect to an OpenVMS system and behave properly??

FWIW... OpenVMS uses an odd backspace character and a terminal session is easily confused when you run an editor from a linux xterm.

boyd98
11th May 2006, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know of an telnet or txterm client (on linux) that can connect to an OpenVMS system and behave properly??

FWIW... OpenVMS uses an odd backspace character and a terminal session is easily confused when you run an editor from a linux xterm.

telnet does not work from you linux box, you should be able to set term on the vms box to the appropriate keyboard.

Let me do some digging and see what the exact vms command is -

josh

boyd98
11th May 2006, 07:55 PM
telnet does not work from you linux box, you should be able to set term on the vms box to the appropriate keyboard.

Let me do some digging and see what the exact vms command is -

josh

once your connected try:

set term/dev=vt300

let me know if that works

mykle
11th May 2006, 08:21 PM
Nope. Let me explain, I'm running an xterm (gnome terminal 2.14) on my linux box.
I TELNET over to the OpenVMS machine, login and do some DCL commands.
Everything's cool so far. Next, Edit a file (using TPU) and things get ugly.

boyd98
11th May 2006, 08:30 PM
Nope. Let me explain, I'm running an xterm (gnome terminal 2.14) on my linux box.
I TELNET over to the OpenVMS machine, login and do some DCL commands.
Everything's cool so far. Next, Edit a file (using TPU) and things get ugly.

hmmm, im not a vms guru, but i do use it on a daily basis (hospital systems)

never used tpu? everything i edit is just edit /edt <file>

what role does the xterm play in trying to edit a file on vms. Your just saying you run linux with gnome desktop, bring up a terminal, and then telnet to vms, and then using TPU it gets horked up. I'll google TPU just out of curiousity.

Boyd

boyd98
11th May 2006, 08:31 PM
hmmm, im not a vms guru, but i do use it on a daily basis (hospital systems)

never used tpu? everything i edit is just edit /edt <file>

what role does the xterm play in trying to edit a file on vms. Your just saying you run linux with gnome desktop, bring up a terminal, and then telnet to vms, and then using TPU it gets horked up. I'll google TPU just out of curiousity.

Boyd

another thought would be to download putty and try it?

mykle
11th May 2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks boyd,

>>Your just saying you run linux with gnome desktop, bring up a terminal, and then telnet to vms, and then using TPU it gets horked up

Yeah. that's what I'm saying!

Just tried edit/edt, after typing C to go into screen mode, I see about a 4 line buffer and using the arrows to move from the top to the bottom gets the screen garbled.

I'll give putty a try!

I was also trying to do a SET DISPLAY and a CREATE/TERM on the VMS machine to get it to create and xterm on the linux machine (thought being, if VMS created the window, it might handle it better). But, that was getting too complicated.