PDA

View Full Version : Installed FC5, now can't boot from windows cd

astroman8806
11th May 2006, 04:25 PM
I recently installed FC5 on my laptop, and I decided that I just want to run XP on it since most of the laptop features (like function keys) just work better in windows. I went to install XP, but now I get a black screen after it says setup is preparing for installation or whatever. This problem must be related to FC since I never had it before installing FC5. I installed the livna drivers for my geforce 6600, so would this cause the default windows drivers to not work? If so, could someone please help me uninstall the livna stuff or whatever I need to do to fix this?

I don't think that this is a problem w/the LCD screen, since when I plug in a regular monitor to the laptop all the normal bios/boot stuff shows up, but i still get the black screen when the windows installer loads.

mndar
11th May 2006, 04:31 PM
I've experienced this. Once I got around it by removing the CD couple of minutes after the black screen appears.
I think its got something to do with the Linux partitions.
Another way of doing it would be to install Windows 2000 and then start the install of Windows XP from within it.

astroman8806
11th May 2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens.

bob
11th May 2006, 09:10 PM
Windows wants to be in first place on your hard drive and is ignoring the Fedora installation. You should install Windows first and then reinstall Fedora afterwards.

astroman8806
11th May 2006, 09:58 PM
Windows wants to be in first place on your hard drive and is ignoring the Fedora installation. You should install Windows first and then reinstall Fedora afterwards.
The problem is that I can't install windows. When it normally loads the installation menu after inserting the windows install disk, I get a black screen.

I tried removing the cd, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

astroman8806
11th May 2006, 10:33 PM
Alright, I found the solution.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105406&highlight=make+ntfs+partition

mndar
12th May 2006, 04:52 AM
According to those suggestions, you still have to kill the FC install. I would suggest installing Win 2k first and then start the WinXP install from within it