PDA

View Full Version : Volume control shortcuts have no effect on actual sound

cdl
10th May 2006, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered that I could map my special keys (I have a Logitech keyboard) to different shortcuts with "Keyboard Shortcuts" under System > Preferences. I mapped the volume keys to the associated buttons. Using the shortcuts does bring up a volume bar on the screen. All three buttons (up, down, and mute) follow the shortcuts as they should, but .. it doesn't change the actual volume at all - I still hear things even though the screen says it's muted. I had the same problem with the Volume Control in the system tray, but was able to fix that by changing the channel from Master (which did nothing!) to PCM. I thought that the shortcut keys would affect the Volume Control in the tray, but it seems not!

Does anyone have any idea how I can get it to work?

Regards,
Chatonne

P.S.
Sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum; it seemed most fitting since this probably relates to my sound driver ..

Brian1
10th May 2006, 10:37 PM
Is this KDE or Gnome?
What exactly did you do?
Which link you following?

Brian1

cdl
12th May 2006, 04:52 AM
I apologize, I should have mentioned that I'm using GNOME. As for what I did .. I don't know how better to explain it.

And I don't know what you mean by your last question ..

Brian1
12th May 2006, 08:42 PM
Not a gnome user so I do not know how to map using it. As for the last question I assume you were following a website on the subject so I wanted to see what it said and see if it was the way I do it or not. There are many ways to map keys to commands under Linux. Whether straight from the command line to any number of ways in all the guis and window managers. As for KDE there is a helper app called kmilo that interfaces the default keycodes for volume keys to it.

Brian1

jdhaugen
22nd August 2006, 11:41 PM
Depends on what you have your volume controller actually controlling. For some reason in order to get sound out, I had to control the headphone, not master. However my keyboard volume controls only control master. So essentially I have no volume control from the keyboard.